Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Timeout expired when refreshing

So i user Power BI service to changing data source, usually it will show error: 'Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation.', sometimes it refreshes successfully, the time for refreshing is variated between 15 mins to 2 hours. 

The pbix file is around 200MB, DB is Postgres

I have changed the timeout to max in advanced editor but it didnt help, is there anyway to guarantee refresh without failing? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, i fixed it, by optimizing the query. Aggerating and tunning help a lot in this, not only reducing the file size but also loading time

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, i fixed it, by optimizing the query. Aggerating and tunning help a lot in this, not only reducing the file size but also loading time

v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

A timeout usually means that it's taking too long to refresh. The best idea is to check the performance of the source. There is no way to guarantee refresh without failing. Since you have changed the timeout to max in advanced editor, there is still a refresh limit on capacity:

Scheduled refresh for imported datasets timeout after two hours. This timeout is increased to five hours for datasets in Premium workspaces. 

You can pay attention to the following limitations and check why the refresh failed.

1, When use Import model, if the memory is insufficient, the refresh will be slow.

2, The maximum size for datasets imported into the Power BI service is 1 GB.

3, Overly complex data model is a common cause of slow refresh, such as using complex DAX function, using too many tiles or using RLS.

4, Runing queries for a long time can cause slow refresh.

5, Check the network to see if there is a network problem, which causes the network delayed or the network connection disconnected.

6, Check whether there is a problem with the gateway. By checking the gateway log or additional log, and looking at the outside of Fiddle, whether there is a firewall problem, whether the gateway is up to date, password changes or credentials expire, the refresh will fail.

7, Check the refresh history to find out whether the reason is the problem of refreshing.

Please refer to the following documents.

Troubleshooting refresh scenarios - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Troubleshooting refresh unsupported data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank for your reply, i think the reason my report takes a long to load is because the connection, and the query takes a pretty long time to run.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

a refresh will be timed out by the Power BI Service after 2 hours and after 5 hours if you are on Power BI Premium: Troubleshooting refresh scenarios - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The only way to make sure that your refresh will always succeed is to make the Power Query as optimal as possible and identify and remove the root cause of failure.
Sometimes failure happens during peak hours of Db usage, then you might consider to upgrade the service tier (throw metal to the problem 😉 )

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your solution. By your suggestion i've edited on Power Query step, to make it simpler. Aggregating in SQL query before putting it in Power BI, the size of the file is greatly reduce, but i still catch the failed refresh. By checking up the query, i see it took a long time to run. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors