Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vmakhija
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Timeout error with scheduled refresh

Hello

I am facing an error with scheduled refresh where my dataset refresh times out after running for 5 hours.

Below is an error -

TimeoutError.PNG

I am using SAP HANA as a data source. I made sure that this is the only refresh running at this time, but still gave an error.

It refreshes fine on Power BI desktop.

Also, refresh for other reports using SAP HANA runs fine for smaller datasets with scheduled refresh, but I do need to make it run for larger datasets too and this issue is preventing me to do that.

Any inputs on this

Regards

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

The Power BI team is the only ones that can speak Correlation ID. You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler  thanks

I also checked that the refresh times out after 5 hours with Premium workspace as per this - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-troubleshooting-refresh-scenarios#scheduled-refres...

And in my case it took 5 hours and then this error.

Above article also suggest to consider breaking datasets into smaller pieces. So does this mean if I am pulling data for 1 year together in a single query, I should break it down into lets say 4 queries pulling 3 months each?

My understanding is that the dataset will still be of same size and the cumulative time for refresh will still be same. But will that help?

I mean the max limit of 5 hours is supposed to be cumulative time or something else?

In my workspace, I have seen refresh taking more than 5 hours without failing. Although thats not a normal case for those datasets, it is exceptional that they take 7-8 hours considering there are other refreshes going on too.

I am in bad shape with my refreshes, so trying to understand and explore it better.

Regards

Well, heck, if you have a Premium workspace perhaps you should be leveraging incremental refreshes? I *may* help if you broke your table down into 4 smaller queries with an Append at the end. Power BI can process queries in parallel so as long as your data source can handle the load, this could speed up the data refresh? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler 

Well yes, I am so close to configuring Incremental refresh, but my problem lies in doing that 1st refresh which is a full refresh.

I want that to suceed and any such full refreshes needed in future. I already have broken down my dataset from 3 queries pulling 12 months each to 3 queries pulling 6 months each, for trial purpose. But I still got this timeout error with scheduled refresh

I created a post to get details on that here - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Incremental-refresh-question-Full-refresh-is-too-big-to-run...

As I am appending the queries i.e. creating 1 large query and not checking "Enable Load", those individual queries don't come separetely to my final report model, instead they only come in as part of my larger query.

So my point is - my data source was able to handle these 3 queries of 6 months each, so I am good there.

What seems to be troubling is the power BI service refresh times out before it finishes.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors