Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mm_engstrom

Time intelligence does not work

Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),

How does time intellingence work on a data warehouse with own data hierachy or what does primary dat column mean?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Got a solution from PBI support. 

========SOLUTION TEXT STARTS========

One easy way to solve the ussie is to transform the date from a text to a date value using the UK format:

let

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("fVRRcsUgCLxLvjsjYIzmLJl3/2tUGht3ie2fDALLsnBdW9YkOZnosX2+rq2/b7P+mFmSnNPbTbVp6p5k589o9sxtmnYO7x1rNamAaUkVzJbEZmx/S4FUQiDde4C3cCGODf32ovjZG0QYQrFaBhuj7jG8a3IOQiV7LHR7x+dzcPWQI7rAPFI1guFeZXJWsZMNgPEQO2BkBqmMqr3mC6i8BeBKAlfGQgqx/Fm5bpcZSkUbNRhEqCwzhwGpfAoVUhWObaRYBwnkOO2V2QCJ2q939FtfTJZF3SkzYxh10dEwhToKG/rmmTR5siYZZCQnaLKwzCphDgNdaANbMDKDroRX0jVZmEnWBtGe+W4odRRQ9bq47GH3+5vMzCDfV+XvI+MwYNnDJQw89/HhBMOdjKdAaXF8KCezAXXjuHk1/F7xqaeRFa57EDmO2f5lA2b0HNUe+/kG", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t]),

#"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Date", type date}}, "en-GB")

in

#"Changed Type with Locale"

In the Query Editor > Advanced query editor, you have to replace your

#"Changed Type with Locale"= ……………………………….” (whatever is there in middle), please replace this with the below one and close and apply and now run the DAX query will work

#”Changed Type with Locale” = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Date", type date}}, "en-GB")

========SOLUTION TEXT ENDS========

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Sorry i can't see the image- can you explain please?

Thank you.

Have updated the image.

You will have to go into File->Options and Settings->Options->Current File->Data Load

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have the same issue but in a measure.  My time intelligence button is ticked.

Do you have any suggestions? I have been spending the last 3 days trying to get the year to date formula working but it is just not happening.

Many thanks!! 

Estimated Annualised Savings 2018 YTD =
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Date'[Date].[Date]),
    ERROR("Time intelligence quick measures can only be grouped or filtered by the Power BI-provided date hierarchy or primary date column."),
    TOTALYTD(
        [Estimated Annualised Savings 2018],
        'Current Month'[Date].[Date]
    )

ErikHorsthuis
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem. Using Quick measure with Time Intelligence generates Dax-function with this error-message. I have no problem in creating manually the Dax-function for for example TotalYTD. I have a date-table with correct date-cllumn as primary key. So why is the Quick measure not working? I use the latest Power BI Desktop version, I downloaded today.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors