Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

divyanshmalik

Time component is missing in datetime type data in powerBI table

We have two datasets both contains a column with datetime value. When we create a table using first dataset then it shows date in powerBI in dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss am format however with second dataset it only shows date in dd/mm/yyyy format and the time component is lost. powerBI setting for both datasets are same also when we export the data from powerBI for second dataset then the exported data in excel shows the date with time.  First dataset was created in Febrauary 2016 and second dataset was created in April 2016.

Please let us know the reason which can cause the powerBI to not show the time component in a datetime type data.

1. Table from first dataset:

2016-05-18_194709.png

2. Table created with second dataset:

2016-05-18_195019.png

3 REPLIES 3
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I would rebuild this dataset and its reports in Power BI Desktop, where the Edit Queries window gives you control over datatypes and a lot more.

Also take a moment to upvote this suggestion (or any similar ones you find) which would make this task a snap if they had built it already ...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10936488-export-powerbi-com-to-po...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Where are the two datasets coming from, the same source or different sources?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler I am also facing the same issue. I am able to create a dataset with time component with PBI desktop. But when i push data to a dataset created via Rest api , the Datetime value is added as a String type. Isn't it possible to have datetime field in table created via rest api?

this link says it is possible http://www.microsofttrends.com/2015/02/17/pushing-data-into-power-bi-preview-using-the-new-rest-api-...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors