Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prathyoo
Helper III
Helper III

Throttling of Power BI API

We have built a Power BI report that invokes a Power Automate flow. This flow then bulk generates individual PDF reports (each with a different filter parameter) and stores the same into SharePoint (see the screenshot below). The issue is that in general the pdf creation fails for around 10 out of 120 with the error shown below. So, we have to individually find the records that failed and run the Power Automate separately for those records. This was still manageable as we run this flow once a month but since yesterday the flow has been rejecting 40 plus calls to the Power BI API. Please let us know if there is any solution.

prathyoo_0-1629882891300.png

{
  "error": {
    "code""ActivityLimitReached",
    "message""You have too many pending requests to make another right now. Please wait."
  }
}
5 REPLIES 5
prathyoo
Helper III
Helper III

Additionally, for the loop in the flow, added concurrency of 20. Before adding concurrency, each report generation took around 1.5 minutes and hence for 120 reports, the flow would run for 3 hrs (and as per the issue I am facing, quite a few of the reports would fail).

After adding concurrency, the flow generated exactly 25 reports in 3 minutes but then refused to generate any more reports. I have tried after an hour to call the flow from Power BI visual and even now it has the same error - "Looks like your flow's operation is hitting an action limit designed to protect the connector service being called."

So, no idea how long to wait until the flow allows us to call the Power BI connector again.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. You would probably need to add a "wait" in there. A step that will take minutes between each request because you might be reaching a Power Bi limitations. Please check this doc to check it:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/automation/api-rest-api-limitations

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks. I had tried a 10 second delay as follows but that did not work. I can change that to a 1 minute and see if that helps. Is that the solution you are referring to -

prathyoo_0-1629895565554.png

Maybe. The flow is brekaing one of those limitations in the link, but I don't know which one. It sounds like "5 max pending POST rows requests per dataset" might be the one. I'm not sure how to fix it. The wait was a suggestion that you can try with different interval of time.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/export-power-bi-report-to-file-api-preview-update/

I think the API was breaking because of the 50 pages per hour limit as mentioned in the artice above. We had two pages in our report and we noticed, as previously mentioned, that the report generation fails after generating 25 reports. We hope that the new update to 50 pages per minute will resolve our issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors