Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Threshold options when setting alerts

Hi, 

I currently maintain a large dataset with around 300+ users and the need has come about to create alerts for changes in certain criteria. I'm using Power Automate to do this but seem to be very restricted in what I can class as a threshold. 

Is there a way I create an alert based on any change, rather than above or below a certain number? If not, I would have to reset the threshold every time it deviated which would outweigh the benefit of the alert itself.

Thank you,

Ben

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm wondering whether u are looking for the subscribe function.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-report-subscribe 

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

Please note that tile refresh is based on the data changed:

Power BI maintains a cache for every tile visual on your dashboards and proactively updates the tile caches when data changes. In other words, tile refresh happens automatically following a data refresh. This is true for both, scheduled and on-demand refresh operations. You can also force a tile refresh by selecting More options (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

I'm wondering whether u are looking for the subscribe function.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-report-subscribe 

Capture.PNG

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-diye-msft

Not quite, it's definitely the same function but I would need it to run only when the data changed not when only refreshed. Thank you though. 🙂

Hi @Anonymous 

Please note that tile refresh is based on the data changed:

Power BI maintains a cache for every tile visual on your dashboards and proactively updates the tile caches when data changes. In other words, tile refresh happens automatically following a data refresh. This is true for both, scheduled and on-demand refresh operations. You can also force a tile refresh by selecting More options (...) in the upper right of a dashboard and selecting Refresh dashboard tiles.

quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-diye-msft , 

This could possibly be the answer if what you are saying is the tile doesn't refresh unless there is a data change. That way, would I be able to set a notification on a tile refresh rather than a specific threshold?

Nimai123
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hello @Anonymous 

Just a thought you can create multiple alerts for the same card hope it helps and solves your problem!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
I am assuming power Bi alert not working for you -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-set-data-alerts
Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mclintockb1_0-1599480358663.png

hi @amitchandak , thank you for coming back to me.

what I mean to ask is, are there more options other than Above/Below in the condition box shown in the picture?

Hello @Anonymous 

Currently, we have only 2 options available for the alerts.

What we can try doing is using REST API but I am not sure if that will work.

Data Alerts and all the templates with Power Automate

https://www.bluegranite.com/blog/from-alerts-to-actions-power-bi-alerts-and-microsoft-flow#:~:text=With%20Power%20BI%20service%2C%20once,will%20open%20a%20context%20menu.

Data Alerts

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-set-data-alerts

Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought that might be the case. 

I will eagerly wait to see if this changes any time soon, would explode the use of Power Bi within my company.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors