Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Microsoft SN1
Microsoft

Thin columns in column chart when using time as axis

Update: Please vote for the idea to make this happen

---

My data has a single value for each hour in a 7 day timeframe. I want to display it as a column chart.

I did just that, and the columns are too thin and skinny. Is there a way to make them wider?

image.pngColumn chart

I've tried using both stacked and clustered charts - but in both cases the spacing is the same.
If I switch the x axis from continous to categorical, the chart looks much better - but then not all of my values are displayed (I have 168 values).

Is there a way to make the columns wider?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Microsoft SN1
Microsoft

Re: Thin columns in column chart when using time as axis

@v-yuta-msft - thanks! I've purposed the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/37106872-ability-to-adjust-column...

@kgmccann , that option exists only for Categorical axis. For continuous axis, there is no such option

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support
Community Support

@SN1 ,

I'm afraid currently stacked bar chart only can change the size of label and text in X-axis and Y-axis. I would suggest you to submit your idea here to help improve power bi.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

kgmccann Helper II
Helper II

In a line and stacked column chart, under the formatting pane --> X-Axis, you can adjust the inner padding to be smaller. That should widen your columns.

Highlighted
Microsoft SN1
Microsoft

@v-yuta-msft - thanks! I've purposed the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/37106872-ability-to-adjust-column...

@kgmccann , that option exists only for Categorical axis. For continuous axis, there is no such option

View solution in original post

Community Support
Community Support

@SN1 ,

Thank you for submitting idea. I have voted for this idea.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors