Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GoingIncognito
Advocate III
Advocate III

There was a database source error. Please contact the GW admin

I got a "There was a database source error. Please contact the GW admin" -message when I try to open a report that uses SSAS tabular model as source. In the same workspace, however, I've another report using another SSAS tabular model - and that report works just fine.

I'm bit at lost because:

-processing the tabular model with SSMS works fine

-when I open the gateway I created for this report in portal, the portal says it's good to go

-when I refresh this report in desktop it works.

I've tried reuploading it, but it doesn't help. The gateway settings look good to me, I don't understand what it could be?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @GoingIncognito 

Firstly ensure that your SSAS server and gateway are installed in a same domain or trusted domains.

Secondly, in Power BI,  the effective username is passed to the gateway and then onto your on-premises Analysis Services server each time a user interacts a report connected to Analysis Services. The email address that you use to sign in Power BI with is passed to Analysis Services as the effective user. This email address should match a defined UPN within the local Active Directory Domain, if a match cannot be found, you will get errors.

You can use the following command from your workstation to find out the UPN for your account, if the UPN doesn't match the email address you sign into Power BI with, you can use “Map user names” feature to solve this issue.  Assume that you if you sign into Power BI with account@thoughtfocus.com, but your local directory UPN is account@thoughtfocus.local, you can configure a mapping rule to have account@thoughtfocus.local passed to Analysis Services. For more details, please review this article.

whoami /upn

Here's post for your reference: http://www.victorrocca.com/troubleshooting-power-bi-on-premises-gateway-errors/ 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

I forgot to mention that

1 SSAS server and gateway are on same server (a another report using tabular model works just fine)

2 my UPN checks out

So it's neither of those. Yesterday I though I had done something wrong in Visual Studio building the tabular model, but I double and triple checked it yesterday. So I'm at lost. Will read those links though. Thank you.

Hi @GoingIncognito 

Could you please kindly check the gateway log and share the Inner message error details here. 

Also, please kindly note that It requires an Enterprise or Business Intelligence edition of SQL Server Analysis Services when you connect live to SSAS 2012 from Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
GoingIncognito
Advocate III
Advocate III

I don't know if this changes anything, but the report shows the text boxes inserted. But any of the data coming from the database.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors