cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpgoggin
Helper I
Helper I

There is no gateway to access for a PowerBI Dataset?

I have a dataset in one workspace.

In "My Workspace", I created a report that connects to it.

I am getting the error "There is no gatewar to access the data source message" - which is strange because I thought gateways were for on-Prem.  My PowerBi dataset is in the cloud, of course, and PowerBI service won't even let me create a gateway for it (as all data is in the cloud)

What's the issue here?

Thank you!

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, I think they issue had to do with importing an excel table and connecting it to a DirectQuery model.

The only change I made when rebuilding it was to add the imported table to the original PBIX. Then connecting via DirectQuery was fine and I had no issues.

Subsequently, I've also explored using SSAS connectors to the original file in a premium workspace, as DirectQuery seems to have some serious limitations.

Thank you,

MG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SwayamSinha
Microsoft
Microsoft

Can you share datasource details ? as in Type? whether it is within a firewall or not?

If your datasource is within a firewall you may need gateway.

It's all on a compnay cloud with no firewalls or access issues. I ended up deleting my work, simplifying the data model and rebuilding.  I have no idea why it was throwing this error but I've moved on. I'll post again here if it crops up again

So, I think they issue had to do with importing an excel table and connecting it to a DirectQuery model.

The only change I made when rebuilding it was to add the imported table to the original PBIX. Then connecting via DirectQuery was fine and I had no issues.

Subsequently, I've also explored using SSAS connectors to the original file in a premium workspace, as DirectQuery seems to have some serious limitations.

Thank you,

MG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel_PBI_Wave1

2023 Release Wave 1 Plans

Power BI release plans for 2023 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2023 through September 2023.

Power BI Summit Carousel 2

Global Power BI Training

Make sure you register today for the Power BI Summit 2023. Don't miss all of the great sessions and speakers!

BizApps LATAM 2023

Business Application LATAM Summit 2023

Join the biggest FREE Business Applications Event in LATAM this February.

Power Platform Bootcamp

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

In this bootcamp we will deep-dive into Microsoft’s Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors