Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Theoretical Question, can PBI Desktop connect to a published PBI service data model?

Good morning, 

Can Power BI desktop connect to a data model that is published on Power BI service?  (assuming it's your own account)

*I know this does not make a lot of sense, but knowing whether or not this is possible via ODBC connection or other connection method would help me resolve some deeper questions I have.  

Any thoughts?  Ideas?  

Thank you,

James ///  www.linkedin.com/in/james-kaelin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Jkaelin Makes perfect sense, and its already supported. You can find the documentation here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

In addition, they just released the ability to shared datasets across workspaces, so you have access to those datasets across the org and can connect to a dataset in one workspace and deploy to a different workspace.

On top of that, you have the ability to connect to any of those service datasets via XMLA, so if you want to connect via SQL or your other favorite tool that supports XMLA, you can.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Jkaelin Makes perfect sense, and its already supported. You can find the documentation here -> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-report-lifecycle-datasets

In addition, they just released the ability to shared datasets across workspaces, so you have access to those datasets across the org and can connect to a dataset in one workspace and deploy to a different workspace.

On top of that, you have the ability to connect to any of those service datasets via XMLA, so if you want to connect via SQL or your other favorite tool that supports XMLA, you can.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer  Thanks for the speedy reply.  If I understand you correclty, XLMA connectivity is how a Tableau user would connect to a published PBI service data (& is XLMA endpoint is still PBI Premium Capacity as of Aug-2019)?  

Thanks again.  ~James

@Jkaelin Yes, that is how they could connect. And yes it is my understanding that this is a premium feature.

@Seth_C_Bauer  This feature sounds exciting!  Hopefully Microsoft moves this feature to Pro license users sometime soon.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors