Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

benfedit
Advocate I
Advocate I

The report can't be viewed because the underlying dataset uses row-level security(RLS)

Hi guys,

I have this error on one of my report the underliyaing data is an SSAS tabular cube (Connect live).

The cube does not have any RLS and it's been a while since I haven't changed anything on it.

Any thoughts?

thanks,

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
benfedit
Advocate I
Advocate I

hi all,

Thanks for your help.

We had been in touch with Microsoft to have this issue sorted and it was a bug on the gateway (November) which has now been fixed with the latest version of the gateway.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
benfedit
Advocate I
Advocate I

hi all,

Thanks for your help.

We had been in touch with Microsoft to have this issue sorted and it was a bug on the gateway (November) which has now been fixed with the latest version of the gateway.

do you know exactly what was done? I'm having a nearly identical issue

v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @benfedit ,

Sorry for late reply. Are you the creator or user of the report? If you are the creator, you should not be restricted by RLS.

Based on your description, it should be because the creator of the report has set certain restrictions for users.

Best Regards,

Yuna

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @benfedit 

aj1973_0-1611161175283.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Here is what I tried so far:

• redeploy the PBI
  • refresh the dataset
  • singn out/in
  • clear my cookies
  • tried from IE instead of google

Some users have the same error as me and some are not affected at all and can use the PBI report without any issue.

If I redeploy the PBI with another name it works fine for everybody but I cannot use this solution as I need to keep the same report url.

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @benfedit,

• Just a check: are you using a V1 or V2 workspace? A V2 workspace has an Access button for example, which a V1 doesn't have. 

nickyvv_0-1612263123175.png

The settings in these V1/V2 could determine some things to be different for RLS.

In a V1 for example, you can give members viewing only rights, which makes sure RLS works.

nickyvv_3-1612263262387.png

In a V2, RLS is not applied for Admins, Members and Contributors, only for Viewers in the workspace (and users of the published App, if applicable).

• Can you check in the service what the security settings of the model are? You can check how to do that here.
    I'm guessing there's something defined there that limits your rights. It could be that you don't have access to do that, then let the creator of the PBIX check it.

Redeploying the PBIX effectively deletes all the roles previously defined in the service (which are still on the original report/model), so that's why that does work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Hi Amine,

Thanks for your quick answer.

The current problem is that the underliying model does not use any RLS so I don't get why I'm having this error message...

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors