Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure. PostgreSQL Cloud

Hello,

I'm having a problem using Power BI Service, I'm trying to connect to a server that is located in a local data center in my city. But I get this message: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.' This message appears when I enable SSL in True postgresql.conf.

When this option is disabled in postgresql.conf this message appears: MessageThe PostgreSQL source doesn't support encrypted connections.

In Power BI Desktop I can make this connection normally.

How can I do this in Power BI Service?

I didn't want to have to use the Power BI Gateway to be able to connect ...

Please, I need help with this case.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, you can't change these settings on power bi service side. For security reasons, power bi service will block some operations, additional requests or third-party verifications.

Power BI Security#data-storage-security 

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you submit ideas for official support with encrypted credentials.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-shex-msft,

I'm having the same issue as @Anonymous, except that my PostgreSQL database exists on an Ubuntu server hosted by DigitalOcean. I'm able to connect to my PostgreSQL database on Power BI desktop, but can't schedule a refresh in Power BI Service. I get the same exact error.

I'm not quite understanding your answer to the question and I'm just looking for some clarification on it or some things we can try to resolve this issue. The error says "The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure". What validation procedure does Power BI Service use?

I'm just using the out-of-the-box self-signed certificate that gets generated when the ssl-cert package is first installed on the server hosting PostgreSQL, is this what may be causing the error? (note that I did have to go through a separate process (https://gist.github.com/oeon/d17bc6b0ccca708a67e172f4e4d86ef8) to create another self-signed certificate to just get Power BI desktop to connect to PostgreSQL). Is Power BI Service looking for a certificate that's signed by a certificate authority (CA)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Hi do you solve it your problem? I have an error certificate and using also DigitalOcean and PostgreSQL

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. I just can connet using ODBC externall connection.  Have you manage it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors