Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ltendam
Frequent Visitor

The "Publish to web" button is not shown

I started using the Power BI Desktop. When I publish the report from the Power BI Desktop and I open the app.powerbi.com website I want to "Publish to web". (seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF9QtqE7s4Y)

But I am not able to see this button in the website. Is this a license problem or a bug from Power BI?

Regards,

Lars

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I got the 'solution'.

As I see it, it is not possible to publish a report when the dataset is from a live data connection. I tried a simple CSV file as dataset and create a report from this. With these settings I was able to publish the report to web. So it is probbaly because of the type of dataset.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
ScottAdams
Regular Visitor

It also won't work if you have any RLS defined in your Power BI Desktop file.  I just had to delete mine and re-publish to Power BI online, and then the option to publish to the web showed up.

Yes, It won't work if you have any RLS defined in your Power BI Desktop file. This happened with me and when i removed RLS security Publish to web appeared.

Jamal Qamar

I have just downloaded Power BI v2.4, and I cannot see "publish to web button"; I only have Excell file linked to report and not any live content. How do I enable this feature ?

I had the same problem, spent hours trying to find out why some reports have 'Publish to Web' link while others don't.  I checked all the recommended solutions, the only one that worked was the RLS defined in your Power BI Desktop file. You need to go to Power BI Desktop --> Modelling --> Manage Roles, delete all filters and save.  After publishing to Power BI the 'Publish to Web' link appears again!  Hope it works for you.

Good luck

Pawel

In my case it started not to work on the lastest update, last week. Ive couldnt find a solution yet.

rohitsankhe
Regular Visitor

I still cant find powerbi publish to web option with a csv file and a local excel file based report.

Is this feature removed or i am missing something?

It is not available on local Office Power BI addons.  This is an option on the Power BI app - Reports.  You can click on Non-Live report's file menu and publish to web.

zolle04
Frequent Visitor

same to me. I'm located in Germany.

Publish to Web is only available for datasets that do not include pro content. Additionally, in the last couple of days a there was a new Power BI Service update that allows the admins of your PBI tenant to block the ability to Publish to Web.

What do you mean by 'pro content'. Is a live connection with a Azure SQL Database 'pro content'?

I also believe that I am the admin of the PBI report. Where is this settings located in PBI?

Thanks in advance

I got the 'solution'.

As I see it, it is not possible to publish a report when the dataset is from a live data connection. I tried a simple CSV file as dataset and create a report from this. With these settings I was able to publish the report to web. So it is probbaly because of the type of dataset.

But this used to be available. I have multiple reports created for our internal staff which they are using on a daily basis, and now I can't seem to Publish to Web anymore??????

Why is this feature abrubptly discontinued without asking the user community???

Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

Pro content is anything that requires a Power BI Pro license. This includes anything that utilizes the AS Connector or the Enterprise Gateway, >10K streaming rows / hour, or with scheduled refresh beyond the limit of the free license.

There is no such thing as a report admin. There can be a report author. Workspaces can have admin members. Additionally your Power BI tenant (your organization's overall Power BI account) has an admin. The tenant admin can turn off Publish to Web for all reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors