Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gavin007
Helper V
Helper V

The query result metadata is malformed in Goal data connection

I encountered a problem with the power bi goal data connection like below. Nothing has change to the report. the metric is connected to a line visual with time series so that it automatic pick up the latest data by month.Screenshot 2022-08-09 120648.png

The other potential cause is some of dataset I have set up incremental refresh last Friday and ever since that, it has problem. But interestingly, not all dataset has been changed to incremental refresh. So I am kind of rule it out this cause.

Before I delete the goals with connection issue and rebuild it, I want to know the root cause, as it may come back in the future.

One last thing is the metric owner got notification for all the error alert email. How to disable the notification for owner and only me as developer will receive error alert?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Selinaz, there is no issue with the incremental refresh.

I found out that there are two issues in the 2 differert dataset that cause this issue.

1. There is a duplicated data in one of the column that is not allow in a one to many relationship.  

2. Another dataset has change the schema which doesn't pick up until i refresh it manually in Pbi desktop.

for the first one, it is of course will cause error on the scorecard that link to it. but for the second one, schema change shouldn't cause error in pbi service. The likely outcome will be the dataset won't pick up the new schema in the cloud refresh, instead, using the old schema. So I don't know what have happened. but once I republish it, it works fine. 

Hope this shed some light to anyone who experiences similar issue in balance scorecard.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
selinaz
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @gavin007 ,

Do you mean you have this error after configuring incremental refresh? According to this error message, I suspect that there is a problem with your data and whether the configuration of incremental refresh is successful?

First of all you can go to the relevant report page after the error occurs, check which visual has error , which columns are involved in this visual, and make a comparison with the normal visual ; or you can go to the desktop to refresh and see if the error occurred?
For the error notification email you mentioned, you can set it in the dataset settings : 

selinaz_0-1660195043860.png

Sending refresh notifications to others | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Best regards.

Hi Selinaz, there is no issue with the incremental refresh.

I found out that there are two issues in the 2 differert dataset that cause this issue.

1. There is a duplicated data in one of the column that is not allow in a one to many relationship.  

2. Another dataset has change the schema which doesn't pick up until i refresh it manually in Pbi desktop.

for the first one, it is of course will cause error on the scorecard that link to it. but for the second one, schema change shouldn't cause error in pbi service. The likely outcome will be the dataset won't pick up the new schema in the cloud refresh, instead, using the old schema. So I don't know what have happened. but once I republish it, it works fine. 

Hope this shed some light to anyone who experiences similar issue in balance scorecard.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors