Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CJMolin
Helper II
Helper II

The gateway operation has been cancelled even though..

Hello!

I have a very strange issue which I can not understand nor solve by my own.

Background: 

I have created 4 identical models (4 different country-databases, MySql) which are all uploaded to the Service-interface where I've scheduled a refresh. In order to refresh I am using an enterprise gateway where all of the databases are included. I've put in my credentials to access the databases and the database names are exactly the same in my model as in the gateway. All models are updateable in the PBI Desktop. All models are also published to the service interface. Since I can run the SQL's directly to the DB / the PBI Desktop there are no timeout on DB-level.

Problem:

All but ONE model seem to update when scheduling/manually refresh the models in the service interface. The model that will not update is the heaviest one (most raw data), PBIX file is aprox 200mb and the others about half the size (if that matters...).

ErrorMessage received:

9/6/2017, 8:53:57 AM9/6/2017, 10:54:13 AMFailedThe gateway operation has been cancelled explicitly by the user or from a timeout.

The difference between the start date and the end date differes a little bit but it's around 2 hours +- 15 minutes.

Please help me!

Thanks in advance,

CJ

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @CJMolin

Have you installed the latest version of the On-Premise Gateway?

The reason that I ask is because in the latest update they have increased the timeout from 2 - 5 minutes, so I wonder if that could help your issue.

Also if it is the larger PBIX file, can you ensure that the queries are returning data as fast as possible?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ,

To be honest I'm not sure if the latest version of the On-Premise gateway is installed. I'll talk to IT regarding that. Even though, the other models have their data sources within the exact same gateway.. So I guess that would not matter..

Well the SQL's are optimized to work as fast as possible (for my knowledge). I guess you could optimize them even more but its a huge amount of SQL.

Thank you for your reply!

Hope anyone else have a proposal aswell!

@CJMolin

We have seen similar issue related to gateway recently.

Please capture Fiddler Trace and create a support ticket

Regards

@v-sihou-msft

Thank you.

How do I create a support ticket? If i follow your link all I can do is finding this forum post. We have now updated Power BI and the Gateways, the SQL connector and everything. The error is within the Gateway/PBI for sure.

Hi @CJMolin

One question I forgot to ask is your data being used as DirectQuery or Import Mode?

Just interested to understand why the larger model fails.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ

It's being used via Import Mode. I don't really know the differences but im using the import mode.

Thanks,

CJ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors