Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Ani26
Helper III
Helper III

The font changes when the report is exported in PPT/PDF from the Power BI Services

Hi Team,

Need your assistance for an issue I am currently facing with the export option.

I have prepared a report for my organization. The entire report is build using the font 'Roboto' as per the organizational reporting standards by creating a theme file.

I published the report on the services and I am happy to see the Roboto font on the services as well.

The problem arises when I am trying to export the report in PPT/PDF. When I export it, the font in the PPT/PDF automatically changes to Times New Roman. This won't be acceptable due to the organizational reporting standards.

Is there any way to export the report from the services using the same font as on Desktop in PPT/PDF format.

Need help with the same.

Thanks,
Ani

14 REPLIES 14
garynorcrossmmc
Advocate II
Advocate II

Any update on this, @v-lid-msft?  

tomkvarby
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

Is a fix for this likely to come? In the same boat here. Would be fantastic to be able to export into PowerPoint using our corporate font rather than Times New Roman 😕

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ani26 ,

Based on this documentWhen exporting to PDF, reports using themes with custom fonts will have the custom font replaced with a default font.

But we test the export as PDF in Desktop/Service , and export as PPT in Service with the Roboto Font, we can export it as expected, could you please check if you can export this font with this theme file?

{
    "name": "Custom Theme",
    "textClasses": {
        "callout": {
            "fontSize": 45,
            "fontFace": "Roboto",
            "color": "#252423"
        },
        "title": {
            "fontSize": 12,
        },
        "header": {
            "fontSize": 12,
        },
        "label": {
            "fontSize": 10,
        }
    }
}

4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lid-msft 
Thank you for your reply.
I tried using the theme file provided by you and then exporting, but still no luck for me. It converts the Roboto font into Times New Roman by default while exporting for both PDF and PPT.

image.png
Note: When I opened the .pbix file shared by you it gave me a warning that the pbix is built in a higher version. Currently the version I am using is October 2019. 

Can that might be the reason for this?

Thanks,

Ani 

Hi @Ani26 ,

Sorry we cannot reproduce this issue with October 2019 version. Have you tried to use other browser such as edge or IE?

23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lid-msft 

Thanks for your reply. May be I think I need to upgrade to the latest version and try again. Will do so and update here on the same.

Thanks,

Ani

Hi @v-lid-msft 

I upgraded to a newer version (December 2019) and tried the export but still I am not getting the Roboto font in the PPT export.

Am i missing any steps. I wonder because since you were able to extract the same in Roboto but doesn't works for me.

Kindly guide me with respect to same as this is required very urgentlt by the organization.

Thanks,

Ani

Hi @v-lid-msft 

Even i checked the screenshots provided by you closely. They are also in Times New Roman font and not in Roboto. Actually the screenshot from Power BI desktop also had the Times New Roman. 
May I request you to kindly check on this once again please.

Thanks,

Ani

Hi @Ani26 ,

we sincerely apologize for our mistake, we are not good at font identify, so we check the font in settings of visual shows roboto, but now we realize that even it show as roboto , it show the "Time New Roman" because of we did not even install the roboto (we did not realize the roboto is not a build-in font before).

We have installed the roboto font and test again in both desktop and service, the Power BI Desktop can export PDF as expected( we set the left visual as "Times New Roman" for Compare)

1.jpg

For Power BI Service, export to PDF has a limitation about this in document, we have the same result as yours, we suggest  export PDF in Power BI Desktop as a workaround. It show as Times New Roman even we did not find this limitation  in this document about exporting to ppt. We will confirm with others to find out if it is a issue or the limitation miss in the document. Currently we did not have effective function to export as ppt with custom font.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue have caused again.

Best regards,

it seems to be that this issue has been around for quite some time without microsoft addressing what I'd consider to be a key design flaw in the product. in fact .. why PowerBI doesn't use all the installed fonts to begin with seems ludicrous given the supposed integration with the whole microsoft platform and suite.

Microsoft need to understand that it's issues such as this which make it's use in business preventative, in which case we'll be staying with other (more complete) BI packages.

Hi @v-lid-msft 

Can we have this posted as an idea and have it done at the earliest because I think this is extremely important from the organization branding perspective.

Also can we have this document updated to include this limitation in it. Because we can't even show the business that there is a limitation as of now in export to PPT nor we can use this document to show the limitations as it is related to PDF.

Request you to kindly help me in raising an idea for this and have it done in the further releases of Power BI.

Thanks,

Ani 

Hi @Ani26 ,

The document had been updated. Please take a look at it again. 

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Ani26 ,

You can vote to to ideas raised by others and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/39146428-export-to-pdf-with-custo...

We will report the issue with missing limitation in document , but sorry there is no ETA currently.

Best regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates on this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors