Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ytr
Regular Visitor

The following groups have failed validation error when adding AD Distribution List

Hi,

I am trying to control App access using distribution list. However, it gives me the error "The following groups have failed validation" when I try to update the App. It works fine once I remove this distribution list. 

I can use the distribution list to grant access to the workspace.

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the same distribution list to give access in PowerBI App? Can you please advise what grouping type I could use for granting access in PowerBI App? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xulin-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ytr

After testing, I was able to share the app properly by adding external users to the distribution list.
You need to check if the external user is added to the app's permissions and distribution list.

vxulinmstf_0-1629771901421.pngvxulinmstf_1-1629771969506.png

If you still have some question, please don't hesitate to let me known.‌‌

Best Regards,

Link

Is that the answer you're looking for? If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution. Really appreciate!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I think that Security Groups are the most used in Power Bi to assign stuff.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ytr
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Moving forward, I will need to add people from external domain, which is why I use distribution list as I can create contact list in AD for them. I believe we couldn't add external people into security group. 

Do you have other approach? Will Azure distribution list work? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors