Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

The dreaded data credentials error ...

I have a PBIX file where all data sources are online (Wikipedia, Github, Sharepoint, webpages...

Sources.JPG

The credentials for Sharepoint are correct using an Organization account. All is fine if I refresh on Desktop. However I get the dreaded missing credentials error on the service (and I cannot work out which credentials are missing)...As I said, refresh works fine on Desktop.

5A6134CB-EA96-4DC2-97BF-CABCC7C6D81C.png

I would very much appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @PaulDBrown , 

What source connection string are you using for them? Are any of them Web.BrowserContents? If so change them to Web.Contents and see if that helps.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @PaulDBrown ;

Glad to hear it worked,  If your problem is solved,  Would you mind accept the replies as solutions? Then we are able to close the thread. More people who have the same requirement will find the solution quickly and benefit here. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @PaulDBrown , 

What source connection string are you using for them? Are any of them Web.BrowserContents? If so change them to Web.Contents and see if that helps.

Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Hi Watsky, I just came across this reply when searching for reasons why I couldn't refresh some Wikipedia data I am using. Because I'm fairly new to Power BI, and am a freelancer doing my own IT setup, I had naturally assumed that all the problems were "my fault" and had wasted hours trying to fix my gateway settings and permissions etc. Thank you so much!

@Watsky  Genius!!
I'll have to work through the different (real) sources but I just tested your suggestion with 3 online sources as a test and it worked! Thanks so much for your help. I'll report back once I've updated the real queries.

Paul on Linkedin.

@Watsky  Works like a charm in the report queries. Thank you again!

Paul on Linkedin.

Glad to hear it @PaulDBrown🤓

v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @PaulDBrown ;

The error typically happens when the credentials of the dataset been changed. 

1.You can do a test on the desktop, connect to the data source and manually refresh it, if it failed, please clear the datasource setting and relogin. 

2.If it still doesn't work,You probably already have a data gateway but the account it is set to use can't access the file. try to add a gateway .then change the credentials.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been playing around with a blank file and adding online sources one by one. It appears that the Credentials cannot be edited (set) if more than 2 online sources are used.

1 SOURCE1 SOURCE2 SOURCES2 SOURCES3 SOURCES3 SOURCES

I've tried changing the order in which the sources are added and there is no apparent improvement (so the type of source doesn's seem to be the issue)

Is there a documented max number of (online) sources allowed?

Paul on Linkedin.

AGarrido
Regular Visitor

I've just the same problem. I can refresh on desktop and publish .pbix, however it's not possible to refresh on service, neither scheduled nor on demand.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors