Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid.

For some reason when I update via app.powerbi.com I keep getting the error: 

The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid. 

I have gone into the credentials section and changed the login from Annonmous to Auth2 and used my login creditnals. It seems to "take" Then when I go back in to update the dataset i get the same message. For some reason the credentials are not saving. 

Has anyone seen this? Any tips? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi All,

This issue has been fixed.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
AndyRath
Frequent Visitor

My Fix
I was having similar problems to those above, dataset was refreshing fine in Desktop but failing on the service even though credentials were correct....after hours of looking I found the problem was in my M Code (Power Query) (I actually had two of the same SharePoint data sources showing in 'Data Source Settings' (which should've given the game away)). 
https://xxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxxx
https://xxxx.sharepoint.com/Sites/xxxx
Now we all know M Code is case sensitive and having gone through each query ensuring each source was the same case (thus returning me to one Data Source) it immediately fixed the problem upon publishing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am having the same issue while trying to create a data connection using Sharepoint URL. I am using Windows authentication and it says "(0x80004005): The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid ". I am able to login to the sharepoint site using the service account I am using to configure the data connection. I have enabled the proxy settings as well in Mashup files (EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe, Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45.exe & Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe. Please let me know how can I resolve this issue.

Thanks

Varun G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am having the same issue while trying to create a data connection using Sharepoint URL. I am using Windows authentication and it says "(0x80004005): The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid ". I am able to login to the sharepoint site using the service account I am using to configure the data connection. I have enabled the proxy settings as well in Mashup files (EnterpriseGatewayConfigurator.exe, Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX45.exe & Microsoft.PowerBI.EnterpriseGateway.exe. Please let me know how can I resolve this issue.

Thanks

Varun G

nkintanar80
Frequent Visitor

FYI - Works for me now.   Thanks!

Nick

It seems to work also for me!

Hi All,

This issue has been fixed.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I am getting the same error now , can you please help me 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Refresh-failed-in-the-Power-BI-online/m-p/594351/highlight/...

Regards

Hi All,

I do have the same issue

Please check the authentication type , it will work now

Could you please elaborate.
Where should I Check what

Check in this image,

You should select the authentiation type and then the sharepoint refresh will work.Sharepoint.JPG

Hi all

I am having the same issue while trying to create a data source in the gateway for Sharepoint.

I entered my credentials in a Window Authentication mode and got the error - "The credentials provided for the SharePoint source are invalid."

In the desktop version with the same credentials works fine.
I ping to the SharePoint folder from the gateway server and it is open in the firewall to the folder. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Nadav 

Try again authenticating in the SharePoint credentials , it has to work.

With the help of Microsoft support then problem solved. We don't need to add Sharepoint to the gateway.

The report will connect to it without a data source in the gateway. 

All you need is to sign in with the right user.for the forum.PNG

Thanks.. this is pretty counterintuitive since the GUI of the gateway encourage you to add sharepoint to the gateway. 

Worked following your tip! 🙂 

Hi,

I also have the same problem.  Even if I go to "Edit Credentials" and sign in using my log in details, it's still not working.  When I scheduled the refresh, the refresh still failed with the Invalid Connection Credentials.

Is there any way this can be solved?

Thanks,

Lei

Hi Lei

Please see my reply above with the solution for this scenario

Nadav 

unfortunately SSMS does not store the credential. it accepts, shows´connected ’. But when refreshing has no credential stored.

Using the correct one (organizational cred using sso), it shows connected but this is finally not stored
eddydm
Advocate II
Advocate II

Now I have this problem since a few days.

At first only one dataset couldn't be refreshed. Reentering the credentials couldn't solve it. Refresh in desktop client is no problem.

Now I'v already 5 datasets that couldn't be refreshed. (but some still get refreshed!) I can understand it a little bit because in all those datasets i connect with the same sharepoint-site, where i'v a catalog with descriptions of my powerbi-reports (purpose, refresh rates, confidentiality, ... )

Any idea's?

Hi All,

The engineers are working on the fix. Please refer to the https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards,
Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors