Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The connection string used for the mashup data source is invalid

Hi, 

I'm having an issue refreshing my report in powerbi web. The report is working well and can be refreshed in powerbi desktop. As I have 2 oAuth connections in the report I'm using the latest version of the personal gateway. There is also a ODBC connection and an excel workbook connection. I have followed the troubleshoot guide without any luck. Pls help!  

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am receiving a similar error message for Databricks data refresh. 

The connection string used for the mashup data source is invalid or the gateway needs to be upgraded to the latest version.

@dimazaid 

I had the same error and resolved it. 

What happened was that my Power BI has data from many sources, mainly SQL and a few Excel files.

The data from SQL needed a gateway in order for the auto refresh to work, but not the Excel file.

Somehow if I merge a table from SQL with an external source (Excel in this case), this error ("connection string used for the mashup data source is invalid...") will pop up.

After removing the merge, there is no more error and the auto refresh works.

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

hi Jonto,

What oAuth data sources are you using it with? 

Thanks!
Dimah 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Zendesk and google analytics. 

Thanks! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dimazaid any input on this issue? 

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous!
The fix is coming to production this week (towards the end of the week), your refreshes should be working seemlesly afterwards. Please let me know otherwise. 

Thanks!
Dimah 

Hi @Anonymous, 

Were you able to verify this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @dimazaid,

The mashup error is gone but I have now run in to another issue. 

image.png

Hi @Anonymous,

This seems to be an error specific to your data source. I found this post where users are running into the same issue and how they fixed it: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Expression-Error-The-key-did-not-match-any-rows-in-the-table/td-p/9824

Thanks!
Dimah 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dimazaid thank you. I have gone through most documentation related to this error but havent been able to solve it. In power BI desktop the report is refreshing just fine and I only get this issue in the web version. The only log file I found does not specify which data source this issue is related to so its difficult to troubleshoot. In the log file I got the following error: 

GetAdmsGatewaySymmetricKeys failed with exception = System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway (personal mode)\Bin\Configurations'.
File name: 'C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway (personal mode)\Bin\Configurations'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.InternalReadAllBytes(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGatewayConfigurator.FileSerializer.ReadFile()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGatewayConfigurator.FileSerializer.DeserializeToDynamicObject()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGatewayConfigurator.MigrateDatasources.GetAdmsGatewaySymmetricKeys()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGatewayConfigurator.MigrateDatasources.Migrate()
PersonalGatewayConfigurator.exe Information: 0 : GetAdmsGatewaySymmetricKeys found no keys. Still trying credential migration for datasources not needing decryption.
PersonalGatewayConfigurator.exe Warning: 0 : Failed to migrate DatasetID 31560349-b93d-4e84-8f52-1f8f2d9f47d4 in service
PersonalGatewayConfigurator.exe Warning: 0 : Failed to migrate DatasetID 31560349-b93d-4e84-8f52-1f8f2d9f47d4 in service

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dimazaid do you have any input on this? 

Thanks!

Jon

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors