Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataMuncher10
Advocate I
Advocate I

The amount of uncompressed data on the gateway client exceeded the limit of 10 GB for a single table

Hi everyone,

I used "import mode" to pull data from a SQL DB into a pbix file that's aprox. 500 MB.

It contains 2 table: one for Dates (2 MB), the other Sales Data (8 GB) as presented in SQL Server Managment Studio.

I've tried to manually publish the pbix file (by clicking the publish button on the PowerBI desktop ribbon)and was able to do so without any problems, and as soon as the report is published I can immediately use with good performance. 

However, when I try refresh it from inside powerbi's service/portal, or by scheduling the resfresh task, I get this error message:

"The amount of uncompressed data on the gateway client has exceeded the limit of 10 GB for a single table. Please consider reducing the use of highly repetitive strings values through normalized keys, removing unused columns, or upgrading to Power BI Premium.Show details"

I have 9.5GB available and the file only requires 500MB of space.

Obviously, we do not want to have some one refresh the file manually in PowerBI desktop and upload it every day to powerbi service and we cannot really sacrifice any columns, so how can I make the refresh work?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DataMuncher10

500MB is compressed size for a pbix file, when you refresh from Service, its actual is mare than 500 MB, as the error message, it is more than the limit of 10 GB.

To make the refresh works again, reducing the use of highly repetitive, long string values and instead using a normalized key or removing the column (if not in use) will help.

If you don't want to reduce anything in your pbix, you could consider upgrading to Power BI Premium where you can have more storage and function.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-premium/

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DataMuncher10

500MB is compressed size for a pbix file, when you refresh from Service, its actual is mare than 500 MB, as the error message, it is more than the limit of 10 GB.

To make the refresh works again, reducing the use of highly repetitive, long string values and instead using a normalized key or removing the column (if not in use) will help.

If you don't want to reduce anything in your pbix, you could consider upgrading to Power BI Premium where you can have more storage and function.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi-premium/

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I understood what you said, but I think many would agree that it does not make sense to pay $5000/month to get PowerBI Premium simply because of the data refresh, since having someone refresh pbix and publish it manually would be less expensive. It's a bit hard to understand this limitation:

- one can publish up to 10GB of pbix files in the PowerBI Service

but

- basically, none can be refreshed automatically or even manually unless someone uses powerbi desktop to refresh and re-publish.

I will make the suggestion in the ideas section.

Once again, thank you for your reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors