Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jbocachica
Resolver II
Resolver II

The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed.

Hi all, any idea about this error?

The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 7200 sec.

I'm using Azure Table Storage, if  I use PBI Desktop the dataset works fine and the final size is about 175MB, however when I tried to refresh from the PBI website I'm receiving that error, I've another datasets using the same tables with diferent parameters and those are working fine.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co
13 REPLIES 13
SanchezDK
Frequent Visitor

I have experienced the same.

Whats the time between the start and the end of the refresh?

My model took more than 2 hours to refresh (if succeeding at all), and I found out that the error was due to a query in the model, that took up a lot of ressources - ultimately resulting in a time out.

I went through the datamodel to check all queries and measures, and found a calculated column referencing data in 2 tables that took forever to process. 

Maybe this could be the issue in your case.

kingsiv
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue as well; for a 650MB data model with Oracle. It says "The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 7200 sec." Then it specified my fact table. In my data model, the fact table is filtered, so that entire data model, with other lookup/dimensional tables, is less than 1GB (650MB to be exact). My fact table in the Oracle database is about 1.3 GB. I am using Power BI Pro. Could any of these be the reason why? Will going Premium solve this? 

I have tried various scenarios, including: refreshing the data model in Power BI Desktop and republishing (as a new renamed data model). My data model has a calculated table that uses SUMMARIZE from the fact table; can this be it? 

Jmenas
Advocate III
Advocate III

Hi all,

Any updates on it?

I just have the same error and my dataset is ~75mb.  I am using OData Feeds. 

pbi error.PNG

Best,
J.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jbocachica,

Based on your description, you publish the PBIX file to Power BI Service and  fail to refresh the dataset, right? If so, the above error could be caused by that the data model size in your PBIX file is too large. As stated in this blog, refreshing the dataset will give an error message indicating you that your dataset is too large when data model size grows beyond 1 GB.

I would recommend you firstly rename the PBIX file to .zip and check the size of the data model file within. For more details, please review this blog. If the data model size is too large, please break up your dataset into smaller datasets and refresh them in Power BI Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi -

Can you please put some light on how to break up the dataset in smaller datasets and refresh?

Hi yuezhe and jbocachica. Is there any updates about this? I have the same problema with a dataset of 300mb and is not bigger than a 1gb when changing to zip. This is my message:

Error de procesamiento:The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 7200 sec.
URI de clúster:WABI-SOUTH-CENTRAL-US-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Identificador de actividad:a5487894-6889-411d-bde8-560f10014b90
Identificador de la solicitud:d965501e-4b38-4e5a-9db9-8e4888f7a712
Hora:2016-12-02 03:04:18Z

We tried to use smaller tables from the same data source, and it works correctly. The source is and SQL 2008 R2 on premise.

Hope this can be solved. 

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Capture1.PNGI am getting a similar error 

Any solution to this?

I'm having the same issue. I have a PBI file of only 22MB that was working fine refreshing with an schedule on tha background and suddenly it stopped updating with the following error:

The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 3600 sec

If I refresh the BI from desktop it completes fine. So now I'm manually updating and re-uploading the file what is a very manual process.

This is a PBI connected to Hana and some sharepoints (in import mode). 

I'm having the same error when refreshing data from oracle source:

Processing error:

The XML for Analysis request timed out before it was completed. Timeout value: 7200 sec.

Cluster URI:

WABI-WEST-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net

Activity ID:

19d86265-6ce6-a751-1a52-79da7e59e72f

Request ID:

a52b70b6-0191-51bc-cb53-99bd2b7fe2b0

Time:

2017-02-22 16:42:50Z

Help (-:

BR

Itzik

I'm sorry to tell you that the way i solved it, is not a solution you are looking foward. I pay for more bandwith and reduce de size of power bi desktop file adding logic to a view in sql (instead of taking tables) and to dax, removing all posible from edit query. 

The files start to size 500mb, and with more bandwith work in 5000 seconds.

Regards,

7200 is a power bi limitation.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

i have the same issue data model size is only 247 mb

Hi Lydia, thanks for your answer, however the datamodel size is about 300MB.

Regards

John Bocachica
Senior BI Consultant
Information Workers
http://www.iwco.co
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Probably best thing to do is generate the error and then send a "frown" in the Service with a screen shot of the error.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors