Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sanjay4reddy
Frequent Visitor

The 'HasUniqueRoleAssignments' column does not exist in the rowset.

Hi All,

I have a report that is developed in the Desktop Version of Power BI. It houses data that is retrieved from a SharePoint list. When I refresh this report in the Desktop Version, I receive no error.

However, when I published this Desktop report to the Online Version of Power BI, I refresh the dataset and receive an error stating the following:

The 'HasUniqueRoleAssignments' column does not exist in the rowset.

I checked to see that this column does actually exist within the table so I'm not sure what to do from here. Please advise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nothing back from microsoft, but... i a pretty crappy solution, but i was able to make it work. 

In order to avoid referencing the columns that are magically put into the report, use the "Remove Other Columns" feature in the Query Editor.  If you select the ABSOLUTE minimum number of columns you are using for your report across ALL data sets synced, (ctrl + shift + click) to select only the columns you are using... and then right click and select remove other columns the steps reference only the used columns.  

Thus you get something like this: 

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Column 1", "Column 2", "Column 3", "Column 3")

instead of:

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 1". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 2". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 3". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 4". })

Once you remove them with this method, the Web application does not know that the bad columns exsist and completes a full refresh.  

It's complete bull**bleep** and i have multiple reports with 5-10 data sources with 30+ columns each.... but it works.  And this is a total work stopper for my org. 

Let me know if this works for you or not

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
sdittmann
Helper I
Helper I

For me, it was a cache/browser issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm a newbie in Power BI and this error has started to appear to me :

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The 'REAL' column does not exist in the rowset. '.
I tried the solution presented in this topic but didn't help. Can someone give a hint?

Thanks in advance,
Tiago
Satyam123
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

Has the issue is resolved?

I am facing the issue in my report.

Please advice

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you solve it?

Tiago

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, 

I also am having this issue with a datasource that connects to a shared drive. I just reached out to the person who manages the database (large excel file) and asked if he changed anything with that column that was being referenced by the error. He responded that he deleted a space in front of the column (e.g. [ ColumnA] -> [ColumnA]). My PBI Desktop did not detect the difference but I am experiencing this when I refresh from the Service. To test, I had him add the space back and the gateway refresh worked successfully. 

It sounds like there's a patch but I wanted to share in case this space may be the root cause...? In the past I have had issues with downloaded SharePoint lists adding a space to the front of the column header after opening the document in desktop excel. This might be why everyone was experiencing this problem with SP lists. 

Hope this helps!

mlamantia
Frequent Visitor

Good Morning! I downloaded the desktop version that was released yesterday and at first glance, the issue seems to be resolved!

Testing right now and all looks good.  Release of version 2.46.4732.721 on May 15 seems to solve the problem.  But this release seems to be breaking some formulas that i was using.  I've lost 4 visuals in one report.  Hooray...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Big shoutout to @sanjay4reddy and @mzikra for flagging this. I was banging my head against a wall for hours trying to figure out how in the world Power BI Desktop and the Service could produce two different results from a data refresh. I've got a complex dataset and had very little clue as to where the error was coming from because the error in the data refresh in the PBI Service doesn't mention which tables the error is coming from. Through a lot of trial and error I started to narrow things down to the tables that were connected to SharePoint and then came across this thread. Installing the latest version of Power BI Desktop now shows me the same refresh errors that I'm seeing in the service and makes it possible to troubleshoot again. Ugh. That wasn't fun.

Glad this was useful to you buddy 🙂 

It looks like this release somehow has reset a lot of of my querie fields to "text" from being decimal or percentage.  

Resetting those fields back to decimal solved the problem.  Curious if that happened to anyone else

@mzikraI hate when 1 things fixes but another breaks...

mlamantia
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue.

Data source error:The 'HasUniqueRoleAssignments' column does not exist in the rowset.
Cluster URI:WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:0164ac61-3ef9-4bc7-a0d7-fa026fa6b284
Request ID:628b6cc2-29bf-26a9-7473-e0b166b42c36
Time:2017-05-12 11:26:24Z

When launched in Power BI desktop, there is no issue refreshing that data.

@v-shex-msft: The details are basically within my first post. However, this screenshot can provide more clarity on the error I'm facing. Thank you @mlamantia for the screenshot.

I just got off the phone with Msft.  

This issue seems to be isolated to the May release of PowerBI desktop.  I have confirmed that by uploading a report directly into the web service via the "Get Data" button on the web service prevents this issue from happening.  

Unfortunately, if you have already downloaded and saved the .pbix file in the May release... the default authenticatoin columns have been added.  I am working on getting a previous release version from archive and testing if it's possible to roll back a version of a saved .pbix file and re-publish with March release version.  

Stay tuned.. 

@mzikraJust tried uploading the report through the "Get Data" options. I still receive the same error when trying to refresh. Do you know if Microsoft has offered any documentation that this is a Known Issue?

I've been unable to reach them over the weekend on this ticket.  As of now, i have not seen any official notification that it is a known issue, however there is a patch being released on 5/15 (US).  I am curious to see if this will fix this issue.  

I should be hearing more on Monday for sure

Nothing back from microsoft, but... i a pretty crappy solution, but i was able to make it work. 

In order to avoid referencing the columns that are magically put into the report, use the "Remove Other Columns" feature in the Query Editor.  If you select the ABSOLUTE minimum number of columns you are using for your report across ALL data sets synced, (ctrl + shift + click) to select only the columns you are using... and then right click and select remove other columns the steps reference only the used columns.  

Thus you get something like this: 

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Column 1", "Column 2", "Column 3", "Column 3")

instead of:

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 1". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 2". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 3". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 4". })

Once you remove them with this method, the Web application does not know that the bad columns exsist and completes a full refresh.  

It's complete bull**bleep** and i have multiple reports with 5-10 data sources with 30+ columns each.... but it works.  And this is a total work stopper for my org. 

Let me know if this works for you or not

Works perfectly - thanks!

mwal1
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I have tried the solution "remove other columns", but with no success. My data appears valid & exists in Data & Query Editor.

When I open PBI Desktop sometime I get the error message "Something's wrong with one or more fields" it appears to lose references to a long integer col "WorkOrder". It looks like a bug to me as it is random. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I can fix in desktop by adding back in "WorkOrder" where the issues are, but this is in around 20 graphs & tables etc - so very painful.

When I repeatedly save and close PowerBI desktop (after fixing the lost WorkOrder detail) when it does open successfully, I can then publish to our company sharepoint workspace, where I can then add my dashboard from various reports.

I am at the stage where I think I will do a new rebuild of my powerBI desktop. I also think this issue may be affecting the online refresh of the Dashboard - but cant confirm until I fix this.

Does anyone have any suggestions before I try new rebuild of desktop file?

Thanks in advance.

mwal1
Frequent Visitor

Hi, an update: I have found a work around. The issue for me on current version (Oct17) is that PBI appears to fall over with intimittent failure of using a count of field "WorkOrder" as a long integer form ms access. When I change it to text, it works fine.

As an interim, I have formatted my table that I connect to as text, & everything works fine. (I tried zero decimal & it didnt work, so experienced some funnies with numbers for some reason)

I hope this helps someone else.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors