Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The HTTP server returned following error: Forbidden Error when accessing dataset via excel

Hi all,

User at my organization have problem when they try to access power bi dataset via Excel.

Set up is following:

I have classic workspace and published app. When i publish app I use AD groups on Permission tab. After that my users have access via App.

Next step is to add them permission on dataset so they can use Excel to access data. So I add Build permission to the group.

As i understood following article bulild permission should be enough.
"The Build permission type is only relevant for datasets. With it, users can build new content on a dataset, such as reports, dashboards, pinned tiles from Q&A, and Insights Discovery. They can also build new content on the dataset outside Power BI, such as Excel sheets via Analyze in Excel, XMLA, and export."

So if i go to permission section of dataset I will have my self and group (last one that ends with BASTech) with App and Build Permissions.

Now i go to dataset and click on Analyze in Excel so connection string is generated.

I can use that file, but my colegue who belongs to abovementioned group is not able to use this excel.
He gets following message:

Now i add him to the datasets permission tab, so he is last one that has Read and Build permission

After this step he is able to access data from Excel. Funny thing is that he is still able to access data even if i delete him from the list, so he has access over group, exactly the same thing i tried first and it didnt work.

I can spod the difference here between groups and user, so User can have Read access while group can not.

But what i really try to accomplish is to maintain security with AD groups.

In short words, i would like that users belonging to AD groups i use when publishing app can access dataset via Excel without giving them permissions separatelly.

Can someone help with this? Has someone noticed similar issues so far?

2 REPLIES 2
glenmclaren
Helper II
Helper II

hi resolver, today, i have the same thing occuring with one of my users.

i too am trying to setup security using AD groups only.

did you figure out what it was ?

ta

v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous 

I cannot reproduce the issue.I would suggest you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors