Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan-gao
Helper III
Helper III

The Bookmark feature will reset the report filter on PBI Service

As it said in title, Does anyone find this bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

How do you mean that it resets the report filter? Did you create the bookmark while there was an active report filter? 

As I have understood the documentation this should be per design.

The bookmark saves the current state of all the filters for the current page. If you later change the report level filter (or any other filter) and navigate to your bookmark, the filters will reset to the filter state that was present when the bookmark was created or updated. 

Take a look at the documentation here: Link 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
vkpatel78
Employee
Employee

In the Limitations, there lists "If you add a visual on a report page after creating a bookmark, the visual will be displayed in its default state. This also means that if you introduce a slicer into a page where you previously created bookmarks, the slicer will behave in its default state." Actually, you are allowed to change the settings to keep the filters applied when you use bookmarks. I learn this from the 2018 Jan Updates of Bookmark. (http://microsoft-bitools.blogspot.com/2018/01/power-bi-bookmarking-feature-update.html). Simply right-click the bookmark and uncheck 'data' category, you will get the report/page level filters kept when you jump between bookmarks.
In my case, I create two slicers and a 'Search' button on the 'Search' bookmark. The slicers are applied to the report-level. The button directs to the 'Result' bookmark with the two slicers, a table showing search results and a 'Return' button back to the first bookmark. By default, the 'data' category is checked in the 'Result' bookmark, which means each time I click on the 'Search' button, the filters get reset and the search results are gone, not what I want. So I uncheck 'data' category of 'Result' bookmark. The slicers are kept and results are filtered. EASY! I keep the 'data' category of 'Search' bookmark checked so each time I click 'return' button, it goes back to the 'Search' bookmark and clear the slicers. EASY!

@vkpatel78 thanks for your post... this totally saved my report!

ryan-gao
Helper III
Helper III

Is this by design?

I think the report filter should take effect to all pages of the report, cover the bookmark

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I agree!  Report level filters should always override (and reset) the bookmark settings.  If not, then what good is it using the bookmark for menu items when you can't reset a report level filter across everything. I've got a 100+ page report and all pages are connected through a bookmark series of navigation pages.  It's no fun having to update 100+ bookmarked pages just because I've changed a global (i.e., report level) filter.

Totally agree! We use report level filters using URL filtering in Power BI embedded. Overriding these with bookmarks kills the entire purpose of the dashboard. Report level filters should not be affected by bookmarks or it should be optional choice when creating the bookmark.

magsod
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

How do you mean that it resets the report filter? Did you create the bookmark while there was an active report filter? 

As I have understood the documentation this should be per design.

The bookmark saves the current state of all the filters for the current page. If you later change the report level filter (or any other filter) and navigate to your bookmark, the filters will reset to the filter state that was present when the bookmark was created or updated. 

Take a look at the documentation here: Link 

this was of great help! I was stumbling into this issue and was almost certain this was the cause, but there is no assurity like documentation assurity!

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

However, the January release now allows you to override this by right-clicking the Bookmark name and unselecting Data and then select Update.  Then a change to a report-level filter will apply to that bookmarked page.

nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks for the update on that! Are there any drawbacks to leaving the "Data" checked? Since I am the report author and the consumers will have only read access to the final report?

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Leaving data checked means the data on a bookmarked page will be filtered as it was at creation and not be changed by a change in a report-level filter.  If you change a report-level filter and click through to the page, it will have the original report-level filter set.  If you navigate to it via the tabs at the bottom (desktop), the new report-level filter will be invoked.

Thank you  @magsod

You are right , I read the limitations again, it is by design. hope this behavior can be modified asap, the report level filter  need to filter the bookmark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors