cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryan-gao Member

The Bookmark feature will reset the report filter on PBI Service

As it said in title, Does anyone find this bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
magsod Member

Re: The Bookmark feature will reset the report filter on PBI Service

How do you mean that it resets the report filter? Did you create the bookmark while there was an active report filter? 

As I have understood the documentation this should be per design.

The bookmark saves the current state of all the filters for the current page. If you later change the report level filter (or any other filter) and navigate to your bookmark, the filters will reset to the filter state that was present when the bookmark was created or updated. 

Take a look at the documentation here: Link 

9 REPLIES 9
ryan-gao Member

The Bookmark feature will reset the report filter on PBI Service

Is this by design?

I think the report filter should take effect to all pages of the report, cover the bookmark

Highlighted
magsod Member

How do you mean that it resets the report filter? Did you create the bookmark while there was an active report filter? 

As I have understood the documentation this should be per design.

The bookmark saves the current state of all the filters for the current page. If you later change the report level filter (or any other filter) and navigate to your bookmark, the filters will reset to the filter state that was present when the bookmark was created or updated. 

Take a look at the documentation here: Link 

ryan-gao Member

Thank you  @magsod

You are right , I read the limitations again, it is by design. hope this behavior can be modified asap, the report level filter  need to filter the bookmark

tjd Established Member
Established Member

I agree!  Report level filters should always override (and reset) the bookmark settings.  If not, then what good is it using the bookmark for menu items when you can't reset a report level filter across everything. I've got a 100+ page report and all pages are connected through a bookmark series of navigation pages.  It's no fun having to update 100+ bookmarked pages just because I've changed a global (i.e., report level) filter.

Marlou1989 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Totally agree! We use report level filters using URL filtering in Power BI embedded. Overriding these with bookmarks kills the entire purpose of the dashboard. Report level filters should not be affected by bookmarks or it should be optional choice when creating the bookmark.

nirvana_moksh Established Member
Established Member

this was of great help! I was stumbling into this issue and was almost certain this was the cause, but there is no assurity like documentation assurity!

tjd Established Member
Established Member

However, the January release now allows you to override this by right-clicking the Bookmark name and unselecting Data and then select Update.  Then a change to a report-level filter will apply to that bookmarked page.

nirvana_moksh Established Member
Established Member

Thanks for the update on that! Are there any drawbacks to leaving the "Data" checked? Since I am the report author and the consumers will have only read access to the final report?

tjd Established Member
Established Member

Leaving data checked means the data on a bookmarked page will be filtered as it was at creation and not be changed by a change in a report-level filter.  If you change a report-level filter and click through to the page, it will have the original report-level filter set.  If you navigate to it via the tabs at the bottom (desktop), the new report-level filter will be invoked.