Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SimonGrams
Helper I
Helper I

Text field hyperlink to report doesn't work

Hello everybody,

it works fine for me to create a text-field and link it to an existing report. I click on it ---> I get linked to the specific report.

But as soon as I share this dashboard to somebody she/he is not able to get to the report.

There is the 'hand-icon' on the text-field of the dashboard, but clicking on the field does not link to the specific report.

Same by clicking on 'open hyperlink' in the corner of the text-field (3 dots). Simply nothing happens.

Do I have to authorise these people on the report as well (if that's even possible)?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SimonGrams I have no issues setting up a text box dashboard tile, adding the link of a report or dashboard and having it work...

The end user first had a warning dialogue pop up that says they didn't have access to the dashboard and gave them the opportunity to request access.

When access was granted, there was no issue, I checked in Chrome and IE...

Maybe try refreshing the URL, create a different new tile...

Another option would be to create the text box in your report page, pin it, then delete it. This should work no matter what.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@SimonGrams

If you have hyperlinks linking another report in your dashboard, those end users you shared with must have view permission on this report.

However, you can't assign other users report level permission if that report is in your own workspace. You should publish that report into a group workspace, and add your end users as group members with view permission.

Regards,

@Seth_C_Bauer@v-sihou-msftThanks for your answers.

The report is published in a group workspace, which I am (of course) a member of. Nevertheless I get the same result (if I share the dashboard to my own workspace) like the other users, which are not members of the group workspace.

Maybe I have kind of a missunderstanding - usually I create dashboards by pinning the most important visuals together and create some text fields to give a first impression for the user. If he wants to play wit the data he has to click on the Visuals to get to the report.

My idea was to create a dashboard which simply exists of 2, 3 text-fields:

1) Explanation / how to work with the data

2) Teaser of future features (V1.1, etc)

3) A simple text field like 'click here to get to the report'

"Have you shared the other report with them?" / "must have view permission on this report."

Is it possible to give permission on reports? I always thougt only dashboards can be shared, so you always have to create a dashboard first?

@SimonGrams I have no issues setting up a text box dashboard tile, adding the link of a report or dashboard and having it work...

The end user first had a warning dialogue pop up that says they didn't have access to the dashboard and gave them the opportunity to request access.

When access was granted, there was no issue, I checked in Chrome and IE...

Maybe try refreshing the URL, create a different new tile...

Another option would be to create the text box in your report page, pin it, then delete it. This should work no matter what.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi

"When access was granted, there was no issue, I checked in Chrome and IE..." 

Who granted this? I dont get notification when they ask for it, or in that case, where?

Best

@@Seth_C_Bauer  Thank you.

As long as I only have text-fields (linked to the report) on a dashboard it does not work.

Refreshing the URL and creating a new tile didn't solve the problem either.

As soon as I pin any visual, text-field, etc from the report to the same dashboard also these linked text-fields work.

"Another option would be to create the text box in your report page, pin it, then delete it."

---> This one did the trick for me. Although it kind of makes me wonder why...

@SimonGrams Glad to hear it worked. Most likely because this approach relies on core functionality of a tile drilling to a report. vs. A different type of functionality that follows a hyperlink applied to text...

@SimonGrams Can you clarify the "Report"... Is this link in a report that links to another Power BI Report? Have you shared the other report with them?.. It is difficult to determine your issue with the description so far.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors