Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

triggus

Tenant Admin issue

Hi all, just (hopefully) a simple question from a complete newbie. I did some searching but could not find helpful answer anywere. 

I have  registered for powerBI account and enabled PRO trial using my private email. No issues with that -  started playing with it a little and then  realised the map visuals does not work - they "aren't enabled for your org. Contact tenant admin.." hmmm ? OK tried to fire up admin portal just to find out there are no options  there apart of  "capacity settings" wiht nothing in there and "refresh summary" with nothing in there either. Apparently I am not an admin of my own tenant ? 

I do have some sort of two microsoft accounts under same email one being "company" account and the other personal.  Usually when signing  into MS resources I got an option sing in as work/school or private  (Same email) as I do to azure for example (and they act as two complete different subs)  I do not have it with powerBI thought, wondering if this something to do with this or maybe something else. Is the map vis disabled by default btw ? 

I am really puzzled here,  and would appreciate some words of wisdom from you guys 🙂

Many thanks 

Chris 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
triggus

Hi Guys I can cofirm the problem is solved now, I have full  powerBI admin access.  I did not have to grant admin access  to myself in 365 admin console   just confirm ownership  of the domain by adding TXT records to my domain and veryfing with MS.  But I believe if I wanted to authorise other email/user would need to use the options provided by edhans. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I did not know all this is  consolidated under 365 - once I have confirmed domain ownership I get all the admin access I needed.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
triggus

Hi Guys I can cofirm the problem is solved now, I have full  powerBI admin access.  I did not have to grant admin access  to myself in 365 admin console   just confirm ownership  of the domain by adding TXT records to my domain and veryfing with MS.  But I believe if I wanted to authorise other email/user would need to use the options provided by edhans. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I did not know all this is  consolidated under 365 - once I have confirmed domain ownership I get all the admin access I needed.

That is because you now have the Global Domain role in the admin tool, which includes all roles.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Also seems like Microsoft does not want you to use a personal email address for Power BI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/service-self-service-signup-for-power-bi#sup...

Power BI requires that you use a work or school email address. 

edhans
Super User
Super User

You have to go to the Admin tool in Office 365, go to your User ID, and ensure the Power BI Admin role is selected. 

When you create a workspace, you are the workspace admin, but not the Tenant admin.

edhans_0-1675271709323.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hi Guys, thanks for replies. 

@edhans  we might be onto something here I think, thanks for that.  Apparently I have two accounts for same email one being  company  and the other personal. Now when I log into Admin  in Office 365 center with the personal one I can't do anything there however when I log in in te same email as company account there seems to be a way to get the admin access. Office365 admin tool asks me to prove I am domain owner (luckily I am as the eamil is on my own domain)  and this should be matter  of adding some DNS records to my domain at my hosting provider. The  verification is supposed to be automatic  365 will check domain record for specific text/fields then as I understand if OK I should get all the admin access granted under office 365 and get access to all the options you have pictured above. I'l give it a go and see, will update once I  know more and eventually mark the solution.  Thanks again !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors