Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BigBadBob
Helper I
Helper I

Template Apps

Power BI Template apps

Hi All,

Re power BI app templates, the Microsoft guidance is a good introduction but a couple more questions please re functionality…

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-template-apps-create

Background:

• I have created a report which connects to a specific third party database package via an odbc link and would like to sell it to my clients
  • Each customer will have their own unique logon from the third party source to log onto their unique data and can connect my report directly to the third party source
  • A lot of time has been spent creating the reports / understanding the schema and I would like to protect my intellectual property. Hence, i do not want the client to be able to forward the report or view the underlying relationships between tables

Requirements:

• I would like to be able to distribute this workspace to a selected customer
  • I would like to ensure that the client can not view the table relationships otherwise will be able to reproduce my work

Questions:

1) Template App link – If you send the link to access a workspace to a client, can they forward this on to other non-customers. If yes does this mean that there is no protection?

2) Can customers be charged for a template app from the app store and if so what are the terms and conditions?

3) There is a 7 day approval process by Microsoft before it is displayed on the app store. Is there a list of the requirements to satisfy this approval process?

4) Can clients be stopped from seeing the table relationships / filters within a report?

Thanks Power Bi Community / Microsoft support Team

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BigBadBob

Answers for your questions:

1.Everyone who wants to access a workspace via a link needs first to get permission to visit the workspace.

2.For app consumers, there are two options.

• Option 1 The workspace for this app is not in a Power BI Premium capacity: All business users need Power BI Pro licenses to view your app.
  • Option 2 The workspace for this app is in a Power BI Premium capacity: Business users without Power BI Pro licenses in your organization can view app content. However, they can't copy the reports, or create reports based on the underlying datasets. Read What is Power BI Premium? for details.

3. 7 day approval process? What do you mean by it? Here is a reference about app:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps

4.In app,the relationship is hidden and the filters are not kept.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

Hi Kelly,

I will start by saying a massive thank you for your answer to my question - I have gone round in circles with this and appears that not many people are able to assist with Template Apps (unless my question was stupid and they ignored instead). Anyway thanks again and if you could think of any reasons why these would not work for me providing a dataset for clients to connect to their version of a third party database please let me know. Also i have included the "7 days" point which i didnt explain very well below but I have been able to find out the required criteria for this so I will mark as answered.

Massive Thank you again and stay safe in these crazy times.....

TABLE 1 Publishing step Time Description

Certification1-7 daysThe Power BI Certification Team analyzes your offer. The team runs your Power BI app through a manual verification test by installing the app via the provided installation URL. Primary validations are performed as part of the app certification process (described later in this document).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BigBadBob

Answers for your questions:

1.Everyone who wants to access a workspace via a link needs first to get permission to visit the workspace.

2.For app consumers, there are two options.

• Option 1 The workspace for this app is not in a Power BI Premium capacity: All business users need Power BI Pro licenses to view your app.
  • Option 2 The workspace for this app is in a Power BI Premium capacity: Business users without Power BI Pro licenses in your organization can view app content. However, they can't copy the reports, or create reports based on the underlying datasets. Read What is Power BI Premium? for details.

3. 7 day approval process? What do you mean by it? Here is a reference about app:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-distribute-apps

4.In app,the relationship is hidden and the filters are not kept.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hello Were you able  to create a template app that use an odbc conection as a dataset? 

Hi Kelly,

I will start by saying a massive thank you for your answer to my question - I have gone round in circles with this and appears that not many people are able to assist with Template Apps (unless my question was stupid and they ignored instead). Anyway thanks again and if you could think of any reasons why these would not work for me providing a dataset for clients to connect to their version of a third party database please let me know. Also i have included the "7 days" point which i didnt explain very well below but I have been able to find out the required criteria for this so I will mark as answered.

Massive Thank you again and stay safe in these crazy times.....

TABLE 1 Publishing step Time Description

Certification1-7 daysThe Power BI Certification Team analyzes your offer. The team runs your Power BI app through a manual verification test by installing the app via the provided installation URL. Primary validations are performed as part of the app certification process (described later in this document).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors