Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DesNaidoo
Frequent Visitor

Template App: Sample data refresh

Good day,

I've created a template app in the service that connects to an ODATA API to retrieve the data. This is a basic app that contains only two reports. The app dataset is refreshed every morning and has up-to-date sample data. It is in pre-production and will be released to appsource soon.

The issue I have is that the published app dataset does not contain the latest sample data. So when a user installs the app, it displays the data from when the app was published...eg. 2 months ago. It seems like I have to re-publish the app so that it updates with the latest data.

Is there any way that when the app is installed, that it displays the current (latest) sample data?

Thanks for your consideration,

Des

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DesNaidoo,

This should be based on your app sample data source configurations. If they are designed based on imported static values, these sample data should not update.
If you are keeping the connection to the data source, configure and enable the scheduler refresh on it, it should update daily.

I do not so recommend you to design a template app with the sample data source. (normally the underlying data source connections should be fully parametrized with query parameters, users who get APP try to use it will be asked to input their connections and credentials for app source initialization. they worked as 'connector app')
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DesNaidoo,

How did you design the app? Have you configured the filter in your odata connector to use the system locale time to get the last records or just setting the static date value in it?

Odata URL Conventions 

DateTime.LocalNow 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft ,

When the customer connects the app to their own data, it all works fine and the latest data is refreshed. 

My question is around the sample data that is included with the app, the sample data does not refresh. So if a new customer installs the app from appsource, before he connects to his own data, is there any way that the sample data thats included with the app be up to date? The dataset that the app is built on is refreshed daily with sample data.

Cheers,

Des

Hi @DesNaidoo,

This should be based on your app sample data source configurations. If they are designed based on imported static values, these sample data should not update.
If you are keeping the connection to the data source, configure and enable the scheduler refresh on it, it should update daily.

I do not so recommend you to design a template app with the sample data source. (normally the underlying data source connections should be fully parametrized with query parameters, users who get APP try to use it will be asked to input their connections and credentials for app source initialization. they worked as 'connector app')
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors