Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fraza
Frequent Visitor

Template App Data Source hard coded

I am creating a 'Template App' that connects to an Azure MS SQL database. 

I want the end users to be able to change the data source on the Template App to their own data source. 

The Template App is in pre-production so it can be shared with other organisations.

I have enabled the required options on 'control' when creating the App to allow the users to add their own data sources, 

As per Microsoft's guidance... 

'If you want to limit access to your queries and measures while still allowing your users to add their own data sources, consider checking only the Export or externally connect to data options. This enables users to add their own data sources without being able to edit your dataset'    

located here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-template-apps-create 

The issue is the end user (whether from my own organisation or from a outside organisation) find the App Data Source always hard coded.  

WhatsApp Image 2021-10-19 at 13.14.58.jpeg

 (server and database cannot be edited - blanked out)

Anyone? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fraza
Frequent Visitor

Using Parameters in Power Query sorted this. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
fraza
Frequent Visitor

Using Parameters in Power Query sorted this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors