Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Jawed
Helper III
Helper III

Teams and RLS

Hi everyone,

I have set up RLS and it works fine when people are accessing the Dashboard and reports online. However, when I add my dashboard on the MS Teams, the RLS fails and anyone who is a member can see the full report. What do I need to do to maintain the RLS?

20 REPLIES 20
v_mark
Helper V
Helper V

This is also the same scenario I have. In the Service, everything works fine. In Microsoft Teams, all data points are being exposed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have yhe same problem with Teams and Power BI RLS with Roles.

I Wonder when this will be fixed for Teams.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No Luck yet.

Hi all,

I am new to this same issue, and have played around a bit.  I don't know if this is an official solution, but the way I "seem to" have gotten it working is with the following steps:

1.  Publish the report to a different workspace (I used "My workspace").

2.  Add a new tab in the team you want to share it with and select the PBI report from My Workspace.

3.  In the PBI service, go to the PBI report and share it with the necessary users (I only gave them READ access)

4  In the PBI service, add the users to the role under SECURITY for the dataset

5.  As a double check - ensure the users have READ access under the MANAGE PERMISSIONS for the dataset

I did that, and it seems to be applying the proper RLS from within the team tab now.  I have not done very thorough testing of this yet, so thought I'd share and see if it resolves the issue for some of you as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This worked for me! Thank you so much for sharing!

I havent heard anything. I hope they do take this seriously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jawed ,

Did you get a solution for your problem ? did MS confirm reagrding this restriction? i am also looking for a solution on the same.

Hi @Anonymous. No, I have not been able to find a solution to it. Currently, if you share the report on the Team, the RLS fails.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jawed , I am also hanging with the same issue. did you get any confirmation from Microsoft consultant on the same?

are they working on the vote of this issue ? any idea would be helpful. Bcz y clients want the reprot over Teams with RLS mechanism.

I have heard nothing of that sort.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jawed

1.You publish datasets and reports to an App Workplace, then you set RLS in the datasets for the members of this Workplace.

Right?

2. "I add my dashboard on the MS Teams" 

what does MS Teams refer to? A workplace? 

Is this dashboard a new dashboard or an exsit dashboard in that App Workplace?

Which dataset does the dashboard come from? does this dataset set up RLS alreadly?

for example, when i pin a tile from a report A(its dataset doesn't set up RLS) to a daskboard A, then RLS fails for that tile.

3. Based on my test, the dataset which the dashboard use need to set RLS so members with read permission could see limited data.

Best Regards

Maggie

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft

I have my dashboard, report and its dataset in the workspace. I have set up the RLS and have shared it with my team. Up to here is all fine and when team members are accessing it, it works fine. 

The issue arises with MS Team. MS Teams is similar to Skype and you can collaborate with your colleagues and is part of Office 365. In the Teams, you can share Sharepoint folders, calendars and Power BI dashboards. So, when I share it in the Teams, the RLS completely fails. The same person who has limited access to the Dashboard in Power BI can now access the same file through Teams but can see the whole dataset. 

I hope it makes sense.

Hi @Jawed

Not sure about what steps you have applied.

According to this article, to let RLS work, you need to add MS Team in the dataset->Security->add members

If you previously defined roles and rules in the Power BI service, you must re-create them in Power BI Desktop.

Please review this thread, i hope thia may give you some idea

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Microsoft-Teams-Pro-Licence-Required/td-p/90339

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft

Thanks for sharing the links. I have gone through them and can confirm that my setting in the Power BI Desktop and the Service is all as it has been recommended. Contrary to the content of the thread you shared, my colleagues, who have Power BI licence, can view the Dashboard on Team. My problem is that they see all the information on Team. What it means is that the same people in Power BI Service can only see their relevant information but when using the same dashboard in Team, they can see everything.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

I havent been successful in finding the solution and would be grateful if one of the moderators can help me out on this.

From what I've read previously, members of the workspace (which is managed by Teams), can always see all of the data. RLS simply won't work.

Workspaces were really intended to be used for developers; not end users. Rather end users should have dashboards and reports shared with them individually, where RLS will work.

The new app workspaces should also allow for RLS, so if users access it that way, it should work as well, but app workspaces are still undergoing a lot of changes, so I can't guarantee that's how it's working in the current release.

Thank you, @JonV for the helpful comment. I think sorting this out would hugely improve the cross-platform capability and will enable a lot more collaboration between team members where reports are pulling from Power BI and Team provide the collaboration function. I guess we have to wait and see.

I havent been successful in finding the solution and would be grateful if one of the moderators can help me out on this.

@Jawed Are the members in the workspace read only / viewers in the PBI workspace?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

That is right @Seth_C_Bauer

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors