Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpquinn
Helper I
Helper I

Tabular & Multimensioanl Modes in same SSAS Instance

Hello,

Currently I have SQL Server 2014, and SSIS and SSAS Tabular, and about to upgrade to SQL Sever 2016.

Can I also have a SSAS Multidimensional instance in addition to my SSAS Tabular Mode instance? Can I have both, or what would the setup need to be?

I'd like to have a Multidimensional mode to run traditional SQL reports to bring into a cube to publish in the PBI Gateway, so users can end up doing all their reporting with PowerBI, and the cube model, whether Tabular or Multidimensional would be transparent.

Thanks,
JPQ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@jpquinn You can't set up the Instance to be both Tabular and MD. You have to choose one or the other. But you could set up multiple instances on the same machine, one for Tabular, one for MD.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@jpquinn You can't set up the Instance to be both Tabular and MD. You have to choose one or the other. But you could set up multiple instances on the same machine, one for Tabular, one for MD.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors