Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

madzgalj_darko
Frequent Visitor

Syncing Dataset in Power BI Desktop and BI Service?

Hello everyone,
I would need help about syncing PBI Desktop and PBI Service. To be more specific, if I publish a dataset and report from PBI Desktop to PBI Service, for example later I would need to download and edit that dataset(to add some rows/columns and/or measure) from Service to Desktop but for example, on another PC or another account(which has permission to edit workspace).
I was reading multiple articles, couldn't really find anything similar. Basically I want to download and edit dataset on any pc with my power bi account. This is really crucial for my management. To add my dataset is set to large dataset storage format. It has few million columns.
Thank you in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @madzgalj_darko 

I would recommend always working from the PBIX file to make changes and then use the external tool ALM toolkit to then publish the changes.

I would suggest storing your PBIX files in OneDrive/SharePoint, which will allow you to get them from any PC.

There are instances where you might not be able to download the PBIX file from the Power BI Service. So having the original PBIX file is critical.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @madzgalj_darko 

If you have a lot of columns and you want to only add the new columns you need to use Power BI Premium Per User or Power BI Premium where you can use the ALM Toolkit to be able to only add the columns that you want.

Currently you cannot add columns or measures in the Power BI Service today.

Power BI Blog

Hello @GilbertQ,
Thank you for quick answer. I have Premium Per User. Acctualy would you know any other option besides this external tool?
For example downloading dataset somehow or editing live in Power Service? It might be that my PC is not with me all the time and I want to log in on another PC download, edit, and publish dataset. 
Thank you! 

Hi @madzgalj_darko 

I would recommend always working from the PBIX file to make changes and then use the external tool ALM toolkit to then publish the changes.

I would suggest storing your PBIX files in OneDrive/SharePoint, which will allow you to get them from any PC.

There are instances where you might not be able to download the PBIX file from the Power BI Service. So having the original PBIX file is critical.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors