Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ftorres
Helper I
Helper I

Sync pbix file using sharepoint

Hi,

I'm having a situation where I can't find in any documentation if it is possible or not.

I'm using SharePoint to control versioning of pbix files and uploading them to the Workspaces.  I had created an workspace months ago and uploaded some files for testing, now I created a new worskspace and uploaded few of the same reports used in the old workspace and when made any change it only reflected in the last workspace create, seems it lost the connection between the old workspace and sharepoint file. So I created a 3dr worskpace and the changes are uploaded.

My question is there way to know the reasons to loose the conection between SharePoint and the report in Power BI?

And if is that possible use the same report for differents workspaces?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ftorres
Helper I
Helper I

Hi guys,

I got the problem. 

The "OneDrive Refresh" option on the Workspace was off, so that is why the changes made on the report wouldn't reflect on the one of workspaces that the pbix file was uploaded. When turned it on and refreshed the dataset, all the changes done in the reports were brought to the report in the workspace.

So yes, I can upload the same report from SharePoint in different workspaces and if any change done in the pbix file on the SharePoint it will reflect in all workspaces that this reports has been uploaded.

Thanks,

Felipe Torres

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ftorres
Helper I
Helper I

Hi guys,

I got the problem. 

The "OneDrive Refresh" option on the Workspace was off, so that is why the changes made on the report wouldn't reflect on the one of workspaces that the pbix file was uploaded. When turned it on and refreshed the dataset, all the changes done in the reports were brought to the report in the workspace.

So yes, I can upload the same report from SharePoint in different workspaces and if any change done in the pbix file on the SharePoint it will reflect in all workspaces that this reports has been uploaded.

Thanks,

Felipe Torres

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ftorres ,

Is your question: Use the same data source from SharePoint in workspace B and workspace C, but after you edit and save the report in one of the workspaces, the content of the other workspace does not change? If I misunderstood your meaning, please correct me immediately. 

Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @ftorres ,

I think that you may have a few issues going on that might be affecting this.  You have the SharePoint piece - do you have a new name each time (not just the version field) for the pbix file?  That would be one issue - that you are overwriting your existing report.

Second, the file itself is built to look to a data source.  That data source does NOT change just because you change the location of the file (the workspace). 

To have a pbix file look at a different location you have to modify the data connection in the file and then you will be fine.

A report can be in one workspace and reference data sources/data sets in other workspaces and can have multiple sources in it.  

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi Collin,

Thanks for your quick help. So answering the your first question, no, we just upload the report with the same name so it wouldn't lost the link with the workspace.

I think I might haven't explained it in a good way, so just making it short:

I have a Report A in a SharePoint Site, I have created a workspace B two months ago and upload that report direct from SharePoint using "+ New" > "Upload a file" options in the Worskpace, I'm not using SharePoint as a data source, only to store my pbix files. I run some testes and it worked fine any visual that I included or deleted from the report, it would reflect on the Report uploaded in Power BI Service. 

After a while I created another workspace C and did the same process as with worskpace B with the same report, tested again and the same changes would reflect in workspace C, but when I checked the report in workspace B, the report haven't done the changes, seemed it had lost the link between the Report on SharePoint and the one in Workspace B. Why is that if I haven't changed the name? 

Thanks again for your support.

Felipe Torres

HI @ftorres ,

I think that all is working well.  When you used Workspace C and then do the "new and upload" from C then Power BI is only linked to the location that you used to upload the file.  Changes to the file will only be reflected in Workspace C because that is the only place that Power BI is using (the same name in a different location is not tied between teh two SharePoint sites - even with the same file name).

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors