Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Switch between PPU and Pro & Workspace Settings = Pro

Hi,

I am considering to get a PPU license for trying out a few things. If needed can I switch back and forth between PPU & Pro license?

Underlying premise:
I have have multiple workspaces where I have published reports as a Pro user, that are being accessed by other Pro users. I am considering to upgrade to a PPU license to try out new stuff in a new workspace. But suppose I need to edit those existing (older)  reports (which are in existing workspace which was always been for Pro users), will I be able to edit those using PPU or do I need switch back to Pro license and then edit those reports?

Alternatively under "Workspace" settings -> Premium, if I choose the license type as "Pro" (see below image), then can i as a "PPU" license holder upload/update reports in that "Pro" workspace and would that still allow other Pro users to access the content in that "Pro" workspace? 

cyclist007_0-1625788967430.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @cyclist007 ,

I believe that this is not an issue about your license as much as it is about the workspace that is created.  You can be a PPU, create a NON-premium workspace and it will be like a normal workspace, you can also create a premium workspace as a PPU and only other PPU (or full Premium) licensed folks can see it.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

Thanks these articles do help. But none of them callout the fact that workspaces also have types (Pro, PPU, Premium per Capacity, Embedded) ... maybe it's a new thing. But after going through all this and your responses, I would say that it is the workspace type which determines who has access to view reports (not the authors license type).

If i were to summarize it would be as follows

Workspace TypeViewers with basic accountViewers with Pro licenseViewers with PPU license
Pro WorkspaceNoYesYes
Premium Per User WorkspaceNoNoYes
Premium Per Capacity WorkspaceYesYesYes
EmbeddedYes?Yes?Yes?

Hi, @cyclist007 

Yes, it's almost what it means.

Whether a user has permission to enter the workspace, view and edit the content, depends on the permissions you give it to the workspace (admin, member, contributor, viewer), but if the user wants to enter the ppu workspace, the user must also have the ppu licence. As for premium capacity, it is for tenants, not for individuals. With this license, ordinary users can also enter premium capacity, but editing content still requires a pro licence.

Best regards

Janey guo

Community Support Team _ Janey
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

10 REPLIES 10
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @cyclist007 

You can create a new ppu workspace without any impact on the content and users of the original workspace. And you don't need to switch back and forth.

vjaneygmsft_0-1626160879723.png

Premium Per User (PPU) includes all Power BI Pro license capabilities, and also adds features such as paginated reports, AI, and other capabilities that are only available to Premium subscribers. You can use the ppu licence to do all the things that pro can do.

Reference:Power BI Premium Per User - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best regards

Janey guo

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@v-janeyg-msft 
You can use the ppu licence to do all the things that pro can do.

The issues is just not what i can do (being a PPU license holder) ... it's more around the fact that will other Pro users be able to access what i do. I think now i have an answer around this - and it's about workspaces. Me being a PPU license holder still lets me assign certain workspaces as "Pro" workspaces and any content I would author/edit/update can be viewed by other Pro users.

So the type of workspace plays an important role in determining what other users can access (rather than the authors license type). Please correct if this is wrong.  

Hi, @cyclist007 

Yes, it's almost what it means.

Whether a user has permission to enter the workspace, view and edit the content, depends on the permissions you give it to the workspace (admin, member, contributor, viewer), but if the user wants to enter the ppu workspace, the user must also have the ppu licence. As for premium capacity, it is for tenants, not for individuals. With this license, ordinary users can also enter premium capacity, but editing content still requires a pro licence.

Best regards

Janey guo

Thanks, there a lot of people who have concerns about authoring using PPU license and their colleagues not being able to access as their colleagues have Pro license. As per the discussions above the type of workspace plays an equally critical role in determining they can access. Basically using a "Pro" workspace ... other Pro users can still access content authored by a PPU user in a Pro workspace.

The workspace types and use cases should be explained better. Thanks @v-janeyg-msft and @collinq for your answers - it helped clarify.

Thanks @cyclist007 ,

Can you mark our answers as solutions so others can find this thread as resolved in the future?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@collinq I had already marked your comment as a Solution (before sending the thank you message). I can alsready see the "Goto solution" option under the question.

Though personally I feel it would be better if Microsoft updated documentation to highlight access is a combination of user license and workspace type.

Thanks again

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @cyclist007 ,

I believe that this is not an issue about your license as much as it is about the workspace that is created.  You can be a PPU, create a NON-premium workspace and it will be like a normal workspace, you can also create a premium workspace as a PPU and only other PPU (or full Premium) licensed folks can see it.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Yeah, that is what I am trying to understand ... as all matrices/tables or documentation just talk about individual licenses - they dont talk about the control being there at the workspace level (which i have saw just yesterday).

It would be good if documentation made this more clear, and someone who has done this, can validate this?

Hi @cyclist007 ,

How about this article for Reports and Dashboards?  Share Power BI reports and dashboards with coworkers and others - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

This one talks about the Workspace level and licenses required to view/share:

Roles in the new workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Do those help?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks these articles do help. But none of them callout the fact that workspaces also have types (Pro, PPU, Premium per Capacity, Embedded) ... maybe it's a new thing. But after going through all this and your responses, I would say that it is the workspace type which determines who has access to view reports (not the authors license type).

If i were to summarize it would be as follows

Workspace TypeViewers with basic accountViewers with Pro licenseViewers with PPU license
Pro WorkspaceNoYesYes
Premium Per User WorkspaceNoNoYes
Premium Per Capacity WorkspaceYesYesYes
EmbeddedYes?Yes?Yes?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors