Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cathryn
Helper III
Helper III

Suggestions for a resuable data set between Excel and Power BI

Hi Everyone

I need some suggestions on how do implement a large data set for use in both Excel and Power BI.

I've currently got a report with the dataset in Power BI which is great but when you try to analyze in Excel, it has the quorking limitations of being able to drag any column into your values for implicit measures in pivot tables.   

Most of my users do their work in Excel so I had thought of creating the datamodel in Power BI and accessing it in Excel but I have the same issue of being able to drag any column into the values table.  I searched and found that this is by design so I needed to try something else.

So, I created the model in Excel using Power Query.  This way I can upload the excel working book into Power BI and still use the datamodel created in the workbook as a datasource.  I'm hoping I can access it as well in Power BI Desktop as long as it's uploaded into the Power BI Portal.

But, here's my dilema,

1. The data needs to be refreshed. - I'm assuming it still can be if it's in Power BI but if it's on One drive, can it still be automatically refreshed?

2.  RLS.  I need to have this which I have working in Power BI, but how do I do the same thing using Excel?

I'm so confused on where the data source master should be created in order to not have to create multiple data sources of the same set of data and then having to worry about updates to the query of that data in multiple places

Cathryn

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest putting the model into Azure Analysis Services and connecting both Excel and Power BI to the model there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors