Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AshDil
Helper V
Helper V

Suggest me Auto refresh steps for Power BI reports when scheduled refresh fails

Hi,

Recently we have witnessed scheduled refresh failures for Power bi reports. Whenever scheduled refresh is failed, we download the .pbix file from Power bi service and refresh it on Power bi desktop and again publish it to Power bi service. Sometimes we may not present. In such situations, please suggest me any auto refresh available without manual involvement when scheduled refresh fails.
Most common problems we have observed are timeout period and memory overrun. To avoid refresh failures we have followed some best practices like

1. Filtered unwanted columns from dataset.

2. Avoided unnecessary formatting

3. Increased Time out period

4. Used Query caching.

Still we are seeing refresh failure. Please let me know other best practices to follow.

Thanks,

AshDil.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use your favorite scripting tool. You can call the API from Powershell, or you can even use Power Automate actions.

Power BI - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AshDil 

Have you solved this question with lbendlin's help? If you have solved the question, you can accept the answer helpful as the solution or share you method and accept it as solution, thanks for your contribution to improve Power BI. Also, you can take a look at this similar post, https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Scheduled-refresh-failing-constantly/m-p/383043

If you need more help, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

- subscribe to the refresh failure notification emails

- based on the received error type make a decision if another refresh should be attempted.  This would be ok to try for timeout or memory issues (there's always hope)  but should be avoided for data quality related issues (missing column etc)

- trigger an API refresh request

You should not need to download the PBIX, refresh it on the desktop and re-publish to the workspace, except when you need to correct meta data issues in your dataset's data sources.

Hi @lbendlin,

Please elaborate me how to trigger an API refresh request in power bi service.

Thanks,

AshDil

Use your favorite scripting tool. You can call the API from Powershell, or you can even use Power Automate actions.

Power BI - Connectors | Microsoft Docs

Datasets - Refresh Dataset In Group - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

Hi @lbendlin ,

Thanks for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors