Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

StevenGrenier
Frequent Visitor

Sudden sharing problems with pro users outside our organization

Hi,

We have a client with HQ and 8 branches, which I built a report for each. The client acquired 9 Power BI Pro licenses and I proceeded to share their reports to them. So far everything went well and everyone was happy. That is until the client contacted us on Monday to let us know that they weren't able to view the reports any longer.

The PowerBI interface loads with a popup in the center reading (translated from French) "Verifying report security", "Please wait while we verify the permissions". Then nothing happens. This loading popup remains forever and nothing happens.

Some things to note:

- There is no row level security in any of the reports

- I didn't make any changes to the reports or the datasets

- I checked the gateway, it was running fine. But said there was an update available, which I did, but to no avail

- I can open the reports on the Web with my licence, no problem (afterall it is in my workspace).

- My boss can open the reports with his licence, no problem (different workspace).

Things we tried that did not work:

- Updating the gateway to the latest verion

- Unsharing and resharing the reports

- Asking the client to empty their browser's cookies, cache, etc.

What we tried that "sorta" worked:

- Ask the client to open their browser "in private" mode. She was able to view the report, but claims there were small visual inaccuracies (which I can't verify for myself).

Anybody has an idea what could have caused this sudden change? We are at a loss, and we don't believe we are at fault, but still would like to help our client.

Thanks,

Steven

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StevenGrenier 

To share reports with users outside your organization they have to be guest users in your Azure AD.

Are the new users you want to share the report with also already guest users in AAD?

You can check that in the Azure portal., have a look at Distribute Power BI content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B for more info.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi, 

I did as you checked and yes, they were already guest users. Last week we did several tests with an external partner who also has a Power BI Pro liscence and the first report I shared with him he was unable to access it, just like our client. But after using MS Edge, he was able to open the report in Chrome no problem. He was also able to open all other reports I shared. In total, I shared 5 different reports with him, some with image backgrounds, some with themes, some with none of these, and it appears that only the first report that I tried to share caused problems until he used Edge. In Azure Active Directory, he appeared the same as the client, user type is guest and source is "External Azure Active Directory". We are still testing other things, but so far, nothing has worked.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @StevenGrenier

May I know
1. The data source and the connectivity mode?
2. The browser and the version?
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors