Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kevhav
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Subset of data in Desktop; all the data in the Service?

I have a very large dataset. While working in Power BI Desktop, I want to be able to refresh it, and publish it to the Power BI Service, quickly.

So, I created an "EarliestDate" parameter; and I have filtered my large fact tables to include only activity after this date. While working in Desktop, I set the value of "EarliestDate" to, say, one week in the past. Great! Now, my .pbix file is small, and I can refresh and publish it quickly.

Then, after publishing, I can go into the Power BI Service, and change the value of "EarliestDate" to, say 1900-01-01 -- so that it includes ALL my data. Then I refresh the dataset in the Power BI Service, and now my reports show all the data, from all time.

The problem is: later, I make more changes in Power BI Desktop, and publish again. The parameter value from Desktop overwrites the parameter value in the Service! So, every time I publish, I have to go into the Service; and change the parameter value; and refresh the dataset again. (Or, in Desktop, I have to change the parameter value to 1900-01-01; refresh it; and then publish it.)

These extra steps slow me down! In Desktop, I want it to always include just a small subset of the data. In the Service, I want it to always include all of the data. I want the refresh with "all the data" to happen in the Service. Can I get the "best of both worlds," without having to take the extra steps every time I publish?

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently because it is a new feature that is how it has been implemented.

I am sure that in time they will update the parameters settings, where you can change it based on your requirements.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors