Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cphilly
Frequent Visitor

Subscriptions not triggering on manual refresh...

Hi,

I'm having an issue with getting my subscriptions to send when I manually refresh the dataset from a desktop file. I've searched high and low online and cant find any resources on this topic.

When I test the subscription using the 'Run now' button, I recieve it fine so there is no issue with the mail getting caught in spam.

I have other datasets with an autofresh, which also trigger the subscription fine.

Is anyone aware of a way around this? Its not always possible to have files autorefresh so it seems like a big gap in functionality.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

I think the act of refreshing the PowerBI solution locally within the PBIX desktop version is the crux of your issue.

1.  Subscriptions can be scheduled to be on refresh (the service refresh not refreshing locally then re publishing)

a.  I recommend using the service scheduled refresh as opposed to doing it locally.

2.  Subscriptions can be on a time schedule, to be emailed at a specific interval. 

3.  You can use a creative Alert to serve like a subscription, if notification only is desired. 

a. Create a query in MCode to retrieve current days date.  This value will not be updated unless the report model is refreshed.  

b.  Create DAX to compare the value created in step a is today().  DAX will always return the current day, regardless if the report model has been refreshed.  Have the DAX to return the interger value of the date time  when true and 0 when false.

c.  Create a KPI visual leveraging the DAX created in b.  I would move this to a hidden tab within the report so that the consumer wont see it.

d. Publish the solution & create a new Dashboard.  Pin the KPI visual to this dashboard, click the elipse and set an alert to send an email when value > 0.  Since the value is the current date in interger form, it should update the data triggering the alert.

I hope one of or a variation of the above will help.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
cphilly
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response @tctrout and thinking about it yesterday, I came to the same conclusion. The easiest way to get around this is to refresh from within the service.

Thanks again.

tctrout
Resolver III
Resolver III

I think the act of refreshing the PowerBI solution locally within the PBIX desktop version is the crux of your issue.

1.  Subscriptions can be scheduled to be on refresh (the service refresh not refreshing locally then re publishing)

a.  I recommend using the service scheduled refresh as opposed to doing it locally.

2.  Subscriptions can be on a time schedule, to be emailed at a specific interval. 

3.  You can use a creative Alert to serve like a subscription, if notification only is desired. 

a. Create a query in MCode to retrieve current days date.  This value will not be updated unless the report model is refreshed.  

b.  Create DAX to compare the value created in step a is today().  DAX will always return the current day, regardless if the report model has been refreshed.  Have the DAX to return the interger value of the date time  when true and 0 when false.

c.  Create a KPI visual leveraging the DAX created in b.  I would move this to a hidden tab within the report so that the consumer wont see it.

d. Publish the solution & create a new Dashboard.  Pin the KPI visual to this dashboard, click the elipse and set an alert to send an email when value > 0.  Since the value is the current date in interger form, it should update the data triggering the alert.

I hope one of or a variation of the above will help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors