Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JesperSand

Subscription with Excel Attachement

Hi all,

I am new to Power BI, so first of all i am sure this question has been raised multiple times...

Is there no way at all how i can send out an Excel file with underlying date from Power BI service - as an automated process IE every morning?

Kind regards

Jesper

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Unfortunately you cannot currently attach an Excel file as you could do with SSRS!!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Unfortunately you cannot currently attach an Excel file as you could do with SSRS!!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would it be possible to use MS flow to achieve that?

I am not 100% sure that this can be done currently.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

According to link below, this feature is not available yet.  Seems like MS is prioritizing this for Paginated reports (which requires premium subscription) and then through PowerBI reports at some point I guess.

But depending on your scenario and what resources you have available at your disposal there's a workaround.  In my case, the customers really needed to get the report as an Excel attachment.  And the report was basically made up of a large table in PowerBI.  Customers didn't want to go through the agony of having to open the report and click export to Excel :).

The workaround was actually outside of PowerBI (that's why I say depending on your resources).  Here are the steps to roughly get this done:

• Create a Data Flow in SSIS
    • Source pacakge contains the SQL code to fetch the required data from the datawarehouse on SQL Server
    • Destination package basically writes the results of the query to an Excel file
    • Use the Send Email Task in SSIS to deliver the Excel as an attachment
    • The last step requires that you have an smtp email account configured in your SQL Server
    • Deploy the SSIS flow to the IS Catalog on your server
    • Set up a job in SQL Server agent and put it on a scheudule to execute your package from IS Catalog

This is probably not ideal in most cases but depending on the conditions it may be the best alternative at this time.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/e-mail-subscription-time-based-scheduling-now-available/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this option using Flow which is close enough to what I neeed
Creating CSV file with Flow

Test went OK, still waiting to see if I get the link to the file by email.

Let us know how it goes?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors