Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cteagle05

Subscription question - viewing shared reports/dashboards

When we started using PowerBI, we were told by our partner that the only users who needed a Pro subscription were the people who were creating and publishing the reports/dashboards. Now, when we share it to other internal users, they are being asked to sign up for a pro subscription before they are allowed to view.

Can you confirm if a user needs a Pro license to both publish and to just view the dashboards?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cteagle05 I just posted in this thread with all the links to the relevant changes. There was a recent announcement of a new Premium license, along with that announcement, there are changes to how Free and Pro work. The Free license gets almost all the Pro features, but all sharing capability has been removed. So in your scenario, if you were sharing content to free users because you weren't using a "Pro" feature, then that model will break, and they will no longer be able to see anything without a Pro license. Because everyone who is sharing, or being shared with, will need a Pro license. (Or, a Premium license - which would allow a few Pro users to share to many free users)

Can you confirm if a user needs a Pro license to both publish and to just view the dashboards? Yes, as of June 1st, 2017

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@cteagle05 I just posted in this thread with all the links to the relevant changes. There was a recent announcement of a new Premium license, along with that announcement, there are changes to how Free and Pro work. The Free license gets almost all the Pro features, but all sharing capability has been removed. So in your scenario, if you were sharing content to free users because you weren't using a "Pro" feature, then that model will break, and they will no longer be able to see anything without a Pro license. Because everyone who is sharing, or being shared with, will need a Pro license. (Or, a Premium license - which would allow a few Pro users to share to many free users)

Can you confirm if a user needs a Pro license to both publish and to just view the dashboards? Yes, as of June 1st, 2017

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors