Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KellyPorter
Frequent Visitor

Subscription notifications not received for report using SSAS Tabular live connection

We have a report pointing to a SSAS Tabular dataset via a live connection and I have set up a subscription to the report.  The data is update nightly and the report shows the new data, but no subscription notifications to indicate new data are being received.

The data source is a tabular database that is "refreshed" nightly when the database is deleted and recreated from a refreshed Power Pivot file.  In the Power BI service, the dataset does show the new data without issue, but the refresh history for this dataset shows status "Failed".  Is this why the subscription notifications aren't sent out?  Is there another way to trigger these notifications?

As point of reference, I have another report pointing via live connection to another SSAS Tabular database on the same server.  That database is refreshed in place on a schedule (not deleted and recreated).  Subscription notifications for this report DO work, which leads me to believe that it's the disruption in communication between the database and the Power BI service that's the problem.  Is this correct?

Many thanks for any input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KellyPorter,

Based on my test, I can reproduce your issue in my side, subscription emails are only sent when a dataset is updated or refreshed. However, you delete the database and recreate the database, which causes disruption in communication between the database and the Power BI service, thus you see the failure in refresh history and subscription can’t be sent due to the disruption. This kind of refresh type is not recommended. Kindly use another more suitable way to refresh your data.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KellyPorter,

Based on my test, I can reproduce your issue in my side, subscription emails are only sent when a dataset is updated or refreshed. However, you delete the database and recreate the database, which causes disruption in communication between the database and the Power BI service, thus you see the failure in refresh history and subscription can’t be sent due to the disruption. This kind of refresh type is not recommended. Kindly use another more suitable way to refresh your data.

Regards,

Frank

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @KellyPorter,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case please.

Regards,

Frank

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors