Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Subscribe to emails - premium account - access to this report

Hello everyone,
I have some difficulties setting subscriptions.
Target: subscribe users to report, but target is that users only receive report exported in csv via email, but not to have access to PBI portal.

Below are details: 
Environment: Premium account Power BI Service
Users: both internal and external
Organization: standard Workspace (not App)
Report type: paginated report.

Current situation: i unchecked option "Access to this report", but every time i try to edit it i see it is checked.
Based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-report-subscribe it should be checked when editing, but if i saved it unchecked, user should not have access to the report.
I tested it: checked "Link to report in Power BI", but unchecked "Access to this report". My expectation was that user will receive message "No access", but there are no restrictions. User can access the report.

Is there any settings where i can make sure that users only receive export of csv report, but not to have access via Power BI Service portal?

Another note: even though user says there are no restrictions acessing the report, when i go to Workspaces access settings, this user is not listed. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @nandic 

What I would do is to go into the dataset permissions and make sure that the users do not have any permissions to get to the report.

You can do that by going into the dataset, then clicking on the three dots and selecting manage permissions

GilbertQ_0-1618263157884.png

And then make sure there are no permissions for the user, as shown below how to add or remove the permissions

GilbertQ_1-1618263199375.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @nandic 

What I would do is to go into the dataset permissions and make sure that the users do not have any permissions to get to the report.

You can do that by going into the dataset, then clicking on the three dots and selecting manage permissions

GilbertQ_0-1618263157884.png

And then make sure there are no permissions for the user, as shown below how to add or remove the permissions

GilbertQ_1-1618263199375.png

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ , thank you very much for the answer. As you mentioned, the issue was on report access, not on subscription access.
Steps:
1) during testing part for subscription, users were given both access and link
2) after that access from subscription is removed, only link is preserved
3) but users could still see the report using the link. They had no access to the workspace, but because of first step, they still had access to the report
4) once users were removed from report access, everything was fine. Users don't have access to the report

Best regards,
Nemanja Andic

Awesome thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors