Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Strugging to understand limitation on Daily Refresh Power BI app

We are using the free version of power Bi and have a large number of potential users who might consume reports in future. for that reason we really do not want to have to go down the Pro route. 

I have built an excel model that uses 2 sources of data. Firstly a number of sql queries through Power Query to the transactional database (This is Microsoft NAV). i guess this database is being constantly updated.  Secondly a number of static excel tables also linked through power Query.  I have then connected power BI app to ths workbook as a data source using a personal gateway.

If i turn on the daily refresh i get  warning saying this contain Pro features. What exactly is the pro feature we are using here and any way to avoid it?  I'm very famialir with powerpivot having been using it for years, but compeltely new to Power BI so apolgise if a daft question.

Thanks for any Advice

mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@masplin You are using a gateway. This is a Pro feature. The only acceptable daily refresh can come from a cloud data source, not on premises. I've seen others currently using a gateway and manually refreshing and still able to use it with "free", but since the gateway is stated as a "Pro" feature, I wouldn't rely on that working forever.

Since you have on premises data, and a gateway is required, that is a Pro feature.

"Free" is designed to give you an idea of how the product works, not designed to have you be able to build a full reporting solution for free. As a further point, I would suggest that if there are a large number of users that you reach out to your local MSFT rep to discuss what the actual price would be per user as you can negotiate that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@masplin You are using a gateway. This is a Pro feature. The only acceptable daily refresh can come from a cloud data source, not on premises. I've seen others currently using a gateway and manually refreshing and still able to use it with "free", but since the gateway is stated as a "Pro" feature, I wouldn't rely on that working forever.

Since you have on premises data, and a gateway is required, that is a Pro feature.

"Free" is designed to give you an idea of how the product works, not designed to have you be able to build a full reporting solution for free. As a further point, I would suggest that if there are a large number of users that you reach out to your local MSFT rep to discuss what the actual price would be per user as you can negotiate that.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors