Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stress test and monitor Capacity in Power BI Service

Hello community,

I'm looking for a way to stress test and monitor the Capacity in Power BI Service i.e. monitoring resource usage and RAM when consuming the report. It's connected to the SKUs of the capacity and the associated cost. The challenge is to have enough resources to use the reports and not have too much "unused: resources. Note: I am not the PBI Admin in the organization. I found one way to do that : the Power BI Premium Capacity Metrics app (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-premium-monitor-capacity). However, I installed it but I can't connect to the data - "However, refresh of the report fails unless you grant certain permissions to Power BI on your A SKUs". I think I lack some kind of permission but can't pinpoint the exact reason. Can you provide more informatinon on that - can I have some kind of "read-only" permission to use the app (without the option to change capacity settings)? For example, if I reach to the Power BI Admin, what permission should I ask him for?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

The one prerequisite for the Premium Metrics App is that it has to be installed by the capacity admin. Before you ask your Power BI Admin to install the app you want to ask:

• Is your capcity on Gen 1 or Gen 2?  (This matters because there are different apps for the two capacity generations.)

Once that is answered you can move on to asking:

• Can the Power BI Admin install the app and grant you permissions to the app.  

You should be able to see the app with permissions to the app. Perchance you are on Gen2, here's the information on that version of the app:

Install the Premium Gen2 metrics app - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Last point. The Power BI Admin will have to do all the setting up on the app before publishing (adding capacity id, UTC offset...)

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's Gen2. I'll move to ask the Power BI Admin to install the app and grant you permissions to the app as you suggested. Thank you!

Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

The one prerequisite for the Premium Metrics App is that it has to be installed by the capacity admin. Before you ask your Power BI Admin to install the app you want to ask:

• Is your capcity on Gen 1 or Gen 2?  (This matters because there are different apps for the two capacity generations.)

Once that is answered you can move on to asking:

• Can the Power BI Admin install the app and grant you permissions to the app.  

You should be able to see the app with permissions to the app. Perchance you are on Gen2, here's the information on that version of the app:

Install the Premium Gen2 metrics app - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Last point. The Power BI Admin will have to do all the setting up on the app before publishing (adding capacity id, UTC offset...)

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors