Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

heikofri
Regular Visitor

Streaming data and static data in one report or visual

Hi everybody,

Im wondering what are the possibilities to combine data from streaming datasets and other more static datasets in Power BI. I have streaming data updating every minute (room occupancy) and static master data (room names which might change after some time) that needs to be updated once a month maybe. I want to show both types of these data in one report or even better in one visual because the streaming data makes more sense to the user if it is combined with master data. Is there a way to do this? 

Here is an example to explain the problem better, room names should be imported from an SQL database and room occupancy should be real time data: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G1Mx-OlzlShD11PJcanqN0wjqRCrNPJq

Best,

Heiko

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @heikofri,

You want to connect to Streaming Dataset together with other data source type in Power Bi desktop, right? However, it is not supported to connect to multiple data sources once live connection to Power BI service is established. This limitation is not just applied to streaming dataset, apply to other datasets, too.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Thank you for the answer! Could you give me a suggestion how to implement my use case in Power BI instead?

Best, Heiko

Hi @heikofri,

As I mentioned above, the connection to service dataset including streaming dataset is live connection, it is limited to connect to only single dataset. So, per my knowledge, I couldn't find any workaround to combine streaming dataset with other data source type.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Since the combination seems not to be possible i tried to come up with other options for a solution:

1) use imported data source and refresh the datasource automatically => limited to 48 refrehses per day in pro dataset, which is too little for us, we want to refresh every 5 minutes

2) Using only live data and stream/push both my fast changing data and slow changing data all the time => more expensive to implement since i have to stream even slow changing data

3) Building a dashboard from different tiles some of which use live data and some of wich use imported data => cannot visualize slow changing and real time data together

every of these solutions has its drawbacks but i tend to solution number 1) since we already have the dashboards and data and do not need to rewrite everything to live data now. Do you see other other alternatives I could consider?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors