Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Streaming Line Tile does not refresh

Hi,

I have a dashboard with one streaming line tile and one streaming card tile.

StreamingTile.png

Data source type is Web API. Dataset type is without stored history. Data comes in at about one value per second. The card visual updates correctly as a realtime time tile. In the line tile on the dashboard only the time axis is moving but the line is frozen. Strange things are:

- While resizing the line chart it refreshes as expected

- In focus mode the line chart refreshes as expected (except for rare case where the line does not appear at all, even after several new values were sent to the API)

Behaviour is the same in latest Edge browser and Internet Explorer 11.

Do you have a solution to this problem? Do you have the same problem?
Thank you very much!
Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a bug. The solution is released by Microsoft. Now the line tile works!

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
NickFox

We are having a very similar problem but on the card visuals. When we add 1 streaming tile to a dashboard it seems to work and have had it running for several hours.

When we add multiple ~7 we see the dashboard just go stale and the tiles stop updating anywhere between 5-20mins. Our data source is a streaming dataset (non historical) and it is updating fine

Have tried through the native PowerBI app and results look better. Ran for around 2 hours but then the same thing happened.

The tiles just go stale. Open another browser and you can see the tiles are updating (for a while)

We have already compromised on the format issues with streaming tiles but if they are going to just stop updating after a while we won't be able to work with that. Any help much appreciated.

lmarcus14

Hi, have someone helped you with this? I am facing the same problem where the data source is stream analytics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lmarcus14 ,

Thank you for asking. I have raised a ticket at Microsoft and they have confirmed that this is a bug. They have announced to fix it with the next release.
If this solves your issue, please mark this response as solution - but of course it's fair to wait for the bugfix to be released first 🙂
Best regards,
Martin

@Anonymous , thanks for the quick reply.

Do you know when the next release should be available?

Anonymous
Not applicable

They were talkng about end of month. This sounds like end of August, but maybe it'll be end of September.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a bug. The solution is released by Microsoft. Now the line tile works!

It's still not working on my side.

Did you need to change something to make it work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, just refresh the web browser. My Power BI is hosted in Ireland, maybe the rollout is not done everywhere at the same time. Can just be a matter of time...

Thanks for the reply!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

any browser. Mostly we use Edge Chromium, but so far we had no comments/complaints that it wouldn't work on other browsers.

NOTE:  Take a step back to think what the dashboard will be for.  Is this a hall monitor, or a portal page to dive into reports?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's indeed more the hall monitor use case and the native apps work on every available plattform and could be used.

Still, since you are saying it works in the browser with your dashboards, I am curious what is the difference so that I can get this running 🤔

Hit F12 on your browser and observe the AJAX traffic. Maybe your network people are messing with you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In order to verify the line chart I built a dashboard that does only contain a streaming line chart. The problem is still there. Then I checked the traffic.
I receive updated values about every second what matches with the sending frequency of the data source.

Martin_Nbg_0-1628413374564.png

Then I checked the payload and it contains all the necessaey information, the value and the timestamp. So I can be sure the values arrive at the browser through the network.

Martin_Nbg_1-1628413467433.png

So to me this look like a bug in the code of the Power BI web app. Especially since it works in focus mode I'd be surprised if this is something I can fix in my browser settings. At least for sure it's not the network settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin 

Thank you for your valuable time! I tried Chrome as well and it shows the same situation. I also tried with the Chrome DevTool and cache turned off, still same problem.
Could you please name specifically which cache setting you are thinking of that might help?
BR
Martin

Is it too late to start over and use a hybrid streaming dataset instead (with history)?  We use that, and it's been extremely reliable for a couple of years now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, you can switch back and forth at any time, but it doesn't change the problem ☹️ I've tried. Do you use the cloud service? With a classic workspace, since it's already a couple of years old? Or local reporting server? Maybe that's the difference? 

No, we use modern workspaces, and we use the simple push API (not pubnub).

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing that works so far is to use the Power BI Windows native app, not a web browser.  Since the native app works, I think it must be a bug in the web app.
Does it work with a web browser for you as well, and which browser do you use?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just tried classic workspace and it does not make a difference. I also found out that a PubNub data source does not support hybrid datasets. But that doesn't seem to solve the problem anyway.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Check it in Chrome too, and see if you can set your browser cache to be less agressive.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors