Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Astorre
Regular Visitor

Streaming Dataset limitations

Hello experts!

I am trying to set up a dashboard that contains a lot of real-time information, but the tiles are too big for me (I simply cannot fit that many big tiles on the screen). I created a streaming dataset and I fill that dataset by sending data to the API (right now with powershell) - and the data comes from an SQL database.

So my question is: is there a workaround? If I want to display data that is changing every second, my only way to display that is through these streaming datasets? Because in a report format, there are ways to visualize much more data... is there a way to create these streaming dataset, but not connect to a tile, rather a report?

For example: I would like to display 64 datapoint in an 8x8 table. All the 64 datapoint updates/changes every second. Now I cannot solve this problem with tiles, because it would be massive. Is there a way to display these 8x8 table like an Excel table?

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Astorre ,

For your question, because your data is changing every second, then the Real-time streaming is the good way to display your data.

With a streaming dataset, there is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, you cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

The only way to visualize a streaming dataset is to add a tile and use the streaming dataset as a custom streaming data data source. The custom streaming tiles that are based on a streaming dataset are optimized for quickly displaying real-time data. 

You can learn more:Real-time streaming in Power BI.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Astorre ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Astorre ,

For your question, because your data is changing every second, then the Real-time streaming is the good way to display your data.

With a streaming dataset, there is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, you cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

The only way to visualize a streaming dataset is to add a tile and use the streaming dataset as a custom streaming data data source. The custom streaming tiles that are based on a streaming dataset are optimized for quickly displaying real-time data. 

You can learn more:Real-time streaming in Power BI.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors